Crazy

“Hey Dylan!” I called from my room. “Have you seen Eli’s painting? I can’t find it!”

“Babe calm down.” Dylan called from the kitchen. Lyle was sitting on the bed grading papers as I ripped the room apart looking for this painting. He had come back a few minutes ago from his hour long walk which seemed to do nothing to calm him down. Lyle scoffed at Dylan’s voice. He winced when he saw Lyle sitting on the bed. “I uh…”

“I can’t find it anywhere, where the hell did you put it!”

“Riley calm down, I had to put it away so River wouldn’t ruin it.”

“Can you get it for me?”

“Yeah,” he nodded leaving the room. It was almost ten and River was fast asleep, but I didn’t give a fuck about that little shit. I took the covers from off my bed and a few pillows.

“What are you doing?” Lyle asked confused. I ignored him and made my way to fort. I opened the sheets and rocked River.

“River, River wake up.”

“I’m sweeping.” He mumbled.

“River get up you’re going to sleep with Lyle tonight.” He yawned and rubbed his eyes with his tiny fists.

“Okay.” His little voice carried as he picked up his blanket and pillow. They dragged behind him as he walked up the three step and into the bedroom.

“Lover’s quarrel?” Tina teased.  

“Fuck you Tina.”

“Awe are you still mad at me?” I closed the sheets and laid down on the mattress. “Riley I’m sorry. Look I know it was wrong to shove those pills down your throat but…but…”

“But nothing! What the fuck is wrong with you?”

“I’m sorry Riley.” I heard her voice tremble. “Look you were screaming and tears were streaming down your face. You were shaking and…it was scary. I had never seen anyone act like that before. River was crying, hell I was crying. I saw the pills and I thought if I could just get you to swallow them you would calm down.” I stayed silent. “I’m worried about you mini me.” I scoffed at her little nickname for me. “I was wrong, I’m sorry.”

“Whatever.” I mumbled.

“Does that mean your forgive me?”

“I guess.”

“Can I have a hug?”

“No.”

“okay good enough!” she cheered. “I love you Riley.”

“…I love you too.” I mumbled and turned to sleep.

“Wake up! Everybody! Everybody wake up!” I rubbed my tired eyes and yawned as I turned over on the cold hard mattress. Ricky’s panicked voice tore through the night. I stumbled out of my room along with the rest of the gang. Bella held on to the back of Blake’s shirt as he guided her through the halls and outside to where Ricky was waiting. Jason and Erica were already outside, holding each other close. I stumbled through and stepped in front of them. I held my breath and inched closer to the fire that Ricky had started.

“What’s going on” Blake grumbled rubbing his eyes.

“It’s wrong, it’s all wrong we have to take it down.”

“Wrong? What’s wrong?” Erica asked.

“The Cabin!” I turned around and looked at the cabin we had built just for us. To make us closer as a family. Chris let up do it. I thought it was beautiful, I thought it was home.