The Offer

What just happened? I had to go after him. He can't just break my heart and slam the door. I ran out just in time to see him stomping through the living room.

"Hey!" he didn't stop but everyone else did. "You can't just break up with me like that!"

"Oh really? Because I think I just did." He growled headed for the back door.

"Stop! Lyle!"

"Oh so we're going by first names now?

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to call you that."

"Say it for what it is." I froze.

"I didn't mean to call you Eli...it just slipped out." I heard Tina gasped and watched Dylan cringe out of the corner of my eye. "I'm sorry Lyle. I love you, I really do."

"Okay." I held my breath and waited for him to finished, but he didn't.

"Lyle I don't want to break up."

"Yeah well I do."

"You wanted to marry me three minutes ago."

"What can I say I'm a...what did you call me? A divorced man with a three month marriage under my belt. I change my mind a lot." My stomach twisted.

"I was feeling stressed and pressured. I was just saying things, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

"Yeah well you did." He growled turning towards the door.

"You can't just walk away from me. I'm trying."

"I was trying to!"

"Obviously not if your running around the state calling your ex-wife every chance you get."

"That was one fucking time! And at least I don't call you by her name and have dangerous ass pets named after her!" he yelled pointing at our scorpion Ricky. "What the fuck is that Riley? That thing could fucking kill someone. Why don't you just slap me in the face? I would rather you do that then bring a predator in my house and name it after your ex-boyfriend! What the hell?"

"I have fucking baggage okay!"

"Yeah I noticed and it's starting to get a little too heavy for me to carry."

"You're a dick."

"Yeah I know." He grumbled and left me once again feeling miserable. I felt naked and bare as it suddenly dawned on me that we had just had this incredibly intimate fight in the living room. Dylan and Tina stared at me with sad and judging eyes. River must have escaped to his fort when we started to yell. I felt bare and humiliated.

"Riley." Dylan whispered. I hated this. I hated everything about this. Lyle had literally took my heart straight out of my chest and walked away with it. He walked away with it. My eyes burned with tears I refused to shed but the reality was that I just couldn't hold them back much longer. I broke down and rushed into my room before they could see me cry yet again. I laid on my bed shaking while tears ran down my face. I heard knocks on my door but I couldn't deal with trying to keep everyone happy. Why can't I just be fucking sad? Why can't I cry without Dylan or Tina wanting to milk me for detail on my every thought?

"Just leave me alone!" I shouted and curled into my pillow. The door opened anyway. "Go away." I hissed. "I just want to be left alone."

"What's wrong?" I turned around shocked at Ryder's voice. He stood confused in my doorway wearing his work uniform for the pizza place and a Subway bag in his hand.

"What's that?" I sniffled nodding towards the bag.

"You haven't been eating so I bought you lunch. Why are you crying?" he demanded, I frowned and rolled over in my bed.