Hush $$$$

“He’s adopted.” Lyle gasped over the phone. “And they never told him?”

“I know right! It’s fucked up!” I sighed leaning back into the empty bed. Ryder called Kramer and after a 45 minute conversation with our incredibly high art teacher Ryder managed to talk him into letting him crash at his house for a few days. He didn’t really want to go home to his fake parents who weren’t really parents to begin with. On the verge of sleep my phone started to buzz to reveal a phone call from my one and only true love Lyle Clark. I nearly jumped out of my skin with excitement when I saw his name lit up on my screen. I answered the phone and immediately told him everything. He laughed at how eager I was to talk to him but I’m not going to hide it. “I miss you.” I sighed.

“I miss you too.”

“How are things in Phoenix?” I said trying to sound happy about it.

“No one knows I’m here so relax.” I let out a breath. “Not even Blake. I’m staying at this dodgy motel.”

“Be careful! Chris runs a few of those.”

“The Grendel Motel?” he asked. I sighed with relief.

“No, you’re fine.”

“Good. It’s pretty nice and under the radar. If I hadn’t taken the back roads I would have never known it was there.”

“Be careful. Don’t get murdered by any creepy hotel manager dressed up like his mom.”

“I’ll stay away from any Norman Bates like characters.” He chuckled.

“Have you seen any family?” I asked.

“I contacted Jennika just so she wouldn’t make a scene at the funeral. She knows I’m coming and keeping a low profile. The only people that know I’m here are her and my dad’s lawyer.”

“What about Johanna?”

“I wanted to go see her but Blake said it would be a bad idea. She has too many connections with Chris and them…they’d hear something.” I nodded even though he couldn’t see me. “I saw Logan in the paper.”

“What?” I gasped.

“Yeah in the sports section. Right next to you dad actually?” I froze. “Logan got recruited to play for Arizona State. He signed yesterday. I wish I could’ve been there. He mentioned me. Said I was dead.” He chuckled. “Smart kid.”

“What did it say about my dad?”

“What? Oh Michael.”

“What did it say Lyle?”

“He um…there was an article about him. He’s crossing over to the major leagues. He’s going to be pitching for the Diamond Backs next season. It was like a big deal for a minor league player to cross over. Especially at his age.” I frowned.

“Is that all?” I was hoping he had died or something.

 “Yeah, there was this big controversy because he was waiting to sign until he had some ‘family’ matters cleared up.” I scrunched my brow in confusion.

“What family? Last I checked I was his only family.” I sneered.

“He’s getting married.” I guess that’s worse than dying.

“Oh?” I asked.

“Yeah, he said he wanted to take care of the wedding. And a few other things, he didn’t really want to talk about.” I felt a huge lump grow in my throat.

“Is she pretty?”

“What?” he asked confused.

“There was probably a picture of her? A story like was probably on the news.”