6. Puzzle Pieces

sorry for the mistakes 

I pulled up to Max's house and I was surprised to see her this way. She had always had this kind of cheesy brooding teen look to her but this was different. The bored and annoyed glazed over look that used to sit on her face was replaced by one of pain and anger. Real pain, and real anger. Her eyeliner was smudged and not carefully with a makeup sponge. No this was just the simple result of not caring, and sitting around all day letting your makeup bleed and smear across her face. She was depressed and I could see it in her eyes.

I frowned.

I hadn't really seen or talked to her since Emma died. I had been too swept up in my own problems. I felt terrible, I was supposed to be her friend. She had been dealing with the loss of her best friend and first love and I hadn't said a word to her in months while she moped away in her room. I forced a smile to beam at her as she got in the car. I could see the tear stains on her face and I frowned.

"Hey," I whispered. "You okay?"

"Drive, I want to show you something." She mumbled clutching the strap to the book bag that hung loosely on her shoulder.

"Okay," I nodded and pulled off. "How have you been?" I asked not really knowing what to say. I wasn't really sure where I was going but the tension coming from her was beating off her in waves.

"I've been thinking a lot," her voice flat as she stared vacantly out the window. "I've just been doing a lot...a lot of thinking."

"You going to tell me what's going on?"

"Just keep going straight." I didn't say anything, I just did as she said. This was weird and it was starting to freak me out. After about a good 15 minutes of just driving straight I saw a dead end coming up.

"Which way do I go?"

"Straight."

"Maxine if I go straight that's just the desert."

"Just go." I held in my frustration and drove off the road. I was starting to get a little worried because we were pretty deep into this barren waste land full of sand. Everything was starting to look the same and yet so unfamiliar. "Stop. This is good." I looked at her strangely but none the less put the car in park. Before I could say anything she had already unbuckled her seat belt and jumped out.

"Max what the hell is going on?" she snatched the keys from my hand and I watched her throw them across the desert. My heart sank into my stomach like a rock. "What the fuck!" I screamed as panic took over my body.

"Where did you burry her?" she asked looking around. I froze.

"What?"

"Sadie! Where did you burry Sadie!" I couldn't move I just stared at her. She pulled out a gun from her book bag and I jumped.

"Fuck Maxine!" her hand was shaking as she pointed it at me.

"I know you killed her." She cried with a crazed look in her eye. "I know you killed her, and you buried her somewhere in this desert. That's what smart criminals do. Just admit it."

"Maxine I..."

"ADMIT IT OR YOU LOSE YOUR FUCKING FOOT!"

"I did it." chocked out.

"How." I didn't say anything. "Why didn't say anything?" I wanted to speak but it was like my vocal chords were paralyzed. "I wouldn't have told. I hated her just as much as you did. If not more. I would've kept your secret. And we could have kept Emma alive."