Shooting Star

“Stay faithful knight.”

“Always.” He hung up, and I finally went to sleep. The next Saturday morning I called off work so I could watch River. I never realized how often Lyle spent his time babysitting. But before Dylan could leave for his first shift I went down to the pizzeria to talk to Ryder. I decided to distract myself from my own parental issues by worrying about his. He told me the security code to his garage. He told me that he hid the box under the shelf left to the red Mercedes.

“My mom is probably already at work and my dad is most likely still asleep. Even if they were awake they wouldn’t care if they saw you as long as you said that you were my friend. The only person you have to worry about is my brother Atticus.”

“Why?” I asked.

“He’s a dick.” He said as if the answer was obvious. I nodded and made my way to his house. I always seem to forget that Ryder is fucking rich. I unlocked his garage and to my disappointment there were at least 20 boxes that looked all the same under the shelf left to the red Mercedes.

“Fuck me.” I grumbled.

“Alright.” I jumped at the random voice. I turned around to see a man standing in the doorway to the house. I had never seen him before, so he must be Atticus. “Did you want to do it right here or should I show you my room?” he smirked.

“It’s an expression. You know like the other one. Go fuck yourself.” I glared. He chuckled at me and shoved his hands in his pockets.

“May I ask why a know-it-all teenager is breaking into my garage?”

“I’m not breaking into you garage. I’m a friend of Ryder’s he wanted me to pick something up for him.”

“What?”

“A box. He said he put it under the shelf but there are a bunch of boxes under the shelf.” I grumbled pointing to my dilemma. Atticus scrunched his brow in confusion.

“Which box are you looking for?”

“The box with all his baby shit in it. We’re doing and project and he’s making me do all the work.” I lied. He nodded and walked over to the shelf. He pulled out a couple and then smiled pulling out the box in the middle. He pushed some things around and pulled out a folder.

“Here you go.” I bit my lip staring at the folder in his hands. I knew what it was I just needed a way to get it back.

“I need that.” I said.

“No you don’t. I’m sure you’re high school project doesn’t need to be this personal.” He smiled. He knew I was lying.

“I need that folder please give it to me.”

“You’re not doing a school project are you?” he teased.

“Sort of.” I grumbled.

“Did Obadiah find out our family’s dirty little secret.”

“Well he was the only person in this whole fucking town without one. It was only a matter of time.” I mumbled. He laughed.

“You’re funny.” He smiled. “I like you.”  

“So give me the folder.” I smiled back.

“no.” he smirked. I huffed frustrated.

“He’s just adopted. Why is that such a bad thing? Why did it have to be a secret? Unless there is something else you don’t want anyone else to know.” I asked.   

“Alright,” he sighed. “But you have to do something for me in return.” He smirked leaning close to me.

“What?”