Debts and Debts and more Debts

“What crawled up your butt?” I asked as Ryder barreled around the store slamming doors shoving things around. He walked in the back of the store without answering my question.

“He’s so cute. Too bad he’s hopelessly in love with that freak.” Sadie sighed. She was difficult. When I told Ricky to go away he would just disappear but she was different. She stuck around giving me dirty looks, making rude remarks. It was like having the real Sadie following me around 24-7 but I was the only one suffering her bitchiness.

“She’s your sister.” I whispered.

“She’s a fucking mistake.”

“I’m going insane.” I mumbled to myself. “Ryder!”

“What?” he shouted.

“Come keep me company before I start to lose my mind.” He walked out and gave me a strange. “I’m lonely. I caught myself talking to imaginary friends.”

“Fuck you.”

“Are you sure, I’m not the most pleasant person to be around right now.” He asked.

“I’m positive.” He sighed and took a seat at the front counter with me. “What’s wrong with you anyway?”

“My dad.” He grumbled.

“What about him?” I asked confused. The phone rang, I told Ryder to hang on. “This is Throwback Record and Book store.”

“This is Atticus, is my brother there?” I turned to Ryder and held the phone out.

“Obadiah, it’s your brother Atticus.” I teased. He groaned and glared at me.

“Don’t call me that. And I’m not here.”

“I’m sorry Ryder’s not here at the moment, can I take a message.”

“I know he’s there I just heard his voice.”

“No you didn’t.”

“You think this is a game? Give my brother the phone.” I looked over at Ryder’s angry and sad face.

“I’m sorry to inform you that your brother is dead. He just keeled over a few minutes ago right here in the store. But my name is Riley and I’ve just recently acquired the gift of communicating with the dead,” I said glaring at Sadie. She flicked me off. “So if there is anything you want to say…” Ryder chuckled and shook his head.

“Yeah tell him he can go fuck himself.”

“I’ll be sure to pass it on.”

“Bitch.” He grumbled into the phone.

“Have a nice day.” I hung up the phone and leaned against the counter.

“What did he want?”

“He wanted me to tell you to go fuck yourself. Pretty rude thing to say to a dead brother if you ask me. But hey, every family is different.” He laughed. “What’s going on?”

“My big brother has been in town for a couple of weeks now and it’s getting…a little over whelming.” He huffed. “I just want to stab myself in the eye.”

“I cannot emphasize enough how unhealthy and ineffective that choice would be for you.” He laughed.

“You’re in a good mood.”

“You’re terrible at reading people. I’m in a fuck it mood. Not a good mood.”

“What’s going on with you?” he ask giving me a concerned look. “Trouble in paradise.” I sighed.