The Visit

“Why can’t you just open mail on time?”

“It’s never been a strong suite of mine.” I mumbled. “Take this exit.”

“I mean if you had opened the fucking letter the day you got it we wouldn’t be under so much stress to get there in time right now. That would’ve been nice. To have one day off without someone dying, or having a mental break down, or going to a prison.”

“Make a left at the light.”

“I mean is it really too much to ask to spend an entire day without ever seeing a gun. Or being asked hey, what’s our next game plan in not getting caught for the murder of insert name here.”

“Keep going straight.” I said as I put on my wig and makeup.

“I don’t think it’s too much to ask. I used to have days like that. But now it’s all, kill this person, lie about this, don’t think about that, you saw nothing, that’s not my real name but don’t tell anyone, I mean I feel like I’m in the fucking witness protection program.”

“It’s right here pull in. When the guard asks, your name is Miles Kelly Clark, and I’m your sister Jennifer Newman. I’m on the visitation list for Tory Hickman and no you will not being coming in with me. Put this hat on, and this fake mustache, these glasses, and this wig.” I said handing him the bag of things I brought. He sighed and took them from me putting them on without a single complaint.

“Just another day in my life.” He grumbled. He looked at himself in the rearview mirror and frowned. “This is my life now.”

“Go, come on.” he pulled in and gave the gate guard our information. He pulled around back and leaned back in the seat.

“You go in, I’ll just sit here and think about how it is I came to become Miles Kelly Clark.” I gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“I should be out in about an hour.”

“Don’t get raped.”

“Not funny.” I glared and closed the door.

“I was being serious.” He mumbled a little too loud. I walked into the building and feelings of being in this place bubbled up inside me. I walked up to the desk with the guard behind a white screen.

“Can I help you?” she grumbled in her hard monotone voice. Why is it they put all the female guards at the desk? Is it to make the people feel more comfortable when they walk in? Maybe they won’t feel so threatened when they see a woman? Maybe for a split second they’ll for get they’re in a prison. Sadly it doesn’t work that way. She frowns and scowls at you behind the glass trying to look hard and threatening. They practice their authority on us so it would work on the prisoners when it counts. Sadly all it does is just annoy you. Why are they being so rude to us? We haven’t done anything wrong. We’re the ones on the outside merely visiting someone on the inside. Is it so wrong to still care for someone even though they’ve done wrong? I guess to them it is.

“My name is Jennifer Newman I’m here to see Troy Hickman.” She checked her little clip board and nodded. She passed a clear plastic bucket through the hole in the glass.

“Place all your belongings in the box. No candy, no keys, no cellphones, and no sharp objects.” I emptied my pockets into the bucket. I heard a loud buzz and the hard metal door to my right unlocked. “Please step through so officer Torrez can examine you.”  I stepped through the door and was frisked by yet another annoyingly rude woman. She grabbed and flash light and turned me around.

“Say Ah.”

“Ah.” I said opening my mouth big and wide.

“Move your tongue up. Left. Right. Now cough. Alright you are good to go. Take a seat at one of the vacant tables and your prisoner will be brought out to you shortly. Remember there is no sexual fraternizing, you are not to give the prisoner any food or drink you may have purchased at the vending machine. You may hug but in a quick and timely fashion. No bodily fluids may be exchanged.”