Mr. Harte

“She’s alive!” Ryder smiled as he took a seat next to me at the lunch table. I groaned. “We saved you seat over there at our table. Why didn’t you come sit with us?” I looked over at the table he was nodding towards. I rolled my eyes and looked back down at my trey when I was greeted with a mass mob of stares.

“I’d rather sit by myself. What part of lay low didn’t you understand?”

“I kind of figured that plan got pissed down the toilet the second you walked into school.” He shrugged. “I really think you should come and sit with us though. Emma was really excited about getting to know you.” He said looking at me with pleading eyes. I stole a glance at Emma and sighed. She was a really sweet girl, but making friends just wasn’t in my game plan. When I didn’t respond he sighed and mumbled something to himself. “Alright, plan B it is.” He waved his hand and before I knew it Emma and some other chick were sitting right across from me.

“Fucking A.” I grumbled. Can’t these people take a hint?

“Hey,” Emma smiled as she took her seat next to Ryder. I pressed my lips together and went back to eating.

“That’s her version of a smile. You rarely get to see a real one.” Ryder whispered to her. She nodded in understanding. What am I a fucking animal in the zoo? The girl that sat on the opposite side of Emma was the girl from my first period. The bitch that kept glaring at me. I tried my best to ignore her but it just got so fucking annoying.

“Can you please stop staring at me?” I asked through bared teeth.

“I don’t like you.” She bit back and I groaned.

“That’s great, but that wasn’t the question I asked. I asked if you could stop staring at me.” She let out this huge melodramatic sigh and sneered at me.

“You know I was the brooding mysterious sexy one before you came along. Now everyone talks about you twenty –four seven. What, do you think because you have tattoos and piercings you’re the shit? Well you’re not.” I’m not dealing with this ridiculousness. It’s the first fucking day of school.

“Okay,” I mumbled as I grabbed my trey and stood up.

“Where are you going?” Ryder asked.

“I’m taking my lunch and eating it in the restroom because no one will bother me in there.” I said and headed towards the doors.

“Max what the hell!” I heard Emma whisper as I walked away.

“I told you I didn’t like her, I don’t know why you even brought me over here.” The bell rang faster than I thought it would. I was just happy that half of my day was over already. The rest of my day would take place in the library with study hall, after study hall, after study hall because apparently there is no such thing as early out at this backward ass school.  I walked into the library looking forward to my four-period-long nap, when I saw Lyle sitting at the desk.

“Mr. Clark?” I said surprised. He looked up from his magazine and beamed at me.

“Ms. Swan to what do I owe the pleasure.” I smile for what was probably the first time today.

“I have this class.”

“No way.”

“Yes way!” I giggled. I was about to lean on his desk and blow him a playful kiss when he shot me a serious look and nodded towards the cameras.

“Take a seat Ms. Swan.” I frowned and nodded as I shuffled towards one of the long tables in the back. Shortly after me a few more people walked in. Unfortunately for me it was someone I was starting to loath, Sadie and a girl tailing behind her like a little puppy. Her face lit up when she saw Mr. Clark. I had to admit he looked pretty adorable. He had loosened his tie and unbuttoned the first two buttons on his shirt. He had his feet kicked up on the desk as he flipped through Sports Illustrated. When Sadie finally stopped drooling over Lyle she noticed me and shot me a smirk.