Acceptance

I texted Lyle good night. It was 12:30 and Lyle still hadn't come home. Eventually I just decided to go to sleep. Not because I had given up, but because I couldn't find the will power to keep my eyes open any longer. I turned on my side and with a heavy sigh closed my eyes

I held my breath as I stared out the window of the car with Ricky. I watched as the cars went by. Yellow, Red, Green, and they speed off to wherever it was life was taking them. I wonder where it is taking them. It's weird to think about other people's lives outside of yours. Like that car. It's a blue car, and that's all it is to me. Just a blue car. But to that middle aged slightly balding well-dressed man inside it's his daughter's future form of transportation. And as soon as he steps on the gas pedal he'll be that much closer to his desk job at that office he hates. Or maybe he's on his way home to a poorly kept house with just the dog and an empty shell of a home that used to be filled with a family. Now moved away to live with his ex-wife only to get a glimpse of her on the weekends, and that when he feels complete. Or maybe he's on his way to his mistress's house on his lunch break. It could be anything.

Green, and he turns right to head off to...well anywhere. I should be looking for Kristy White, but I have feeling it's going to be a while before she comes out. I looked over at Ricky as he stared intently out the windshield. He was so cute. I bit my lip trying not look at him. If I looked I'll stare. This was our first job alone together and it was incredibly awkward. I wonder what he thought of me. Does he think I'm pretty? Probably not. I've never really talked to him before except for those few times on the bus, but that was about it. I don't want to say anything and stound stupid. I'll just be quiet, he's too good for me anyway.

"Green." He said. I looked up at the light wondering if he was counting down the colors just like I was, but it was yellow. I looked at him confused. "The last time we spoke was on the bus. You asked me what my favorite color was, I never got to answer." He paused and looked over at me. "It's green." I bit my lip kind of at a loss for words. How did he remember that? "How about you?" he asked.

"Um...green." I said.

"Really?"

"I don't know." He laughed and shook his head.

"How old are you?" he asked looking out the window.

"12," I whispered. "How old are you?"

"15" he said. I stared at him challengingly.

"That means you're too young to drive."

"Yup."

"But you drove us here."

"Yup."

"That's illegal." He stared at me with a funny look, and smiled.

"Do you have any idea what you've gotten yourself into?" he asked. I nodded. "What do you think you signed up for?"

"A family." He paused. "I know we're the bad guys a stuff. I sell drugs to the kids in my school in fifth period. I help Bella grow weed. I see what you guys do, I know what you guys do when I look away. But that doesn't matter because you're all my family bad or not. I'm you're sister and you're my brother." I smiled. He stared at me for a while. 

"I don't want to be your brother." He said in a cold tone.

"What?" I whispered a little...extremely hurt.

"Oh hey that's her." He said looking out his window. "Want to see something cool?" he asked me with a smirk. I was a still a little confused from his last comment but I didn't say anything, I just kind of stared at him. He smiled and rolled his window down. "Hey bitch!" the woman froze when she saw him. He smiled at her as he pointed the gun out the window and before I could even blink he pulled the trigger. I jumped and held in my scream. He smiled at me. "Look, I have to say...red is my second favorite color. I love how it splatters. It's a certain kind of crimson I love. Look at her brain on the sidewalk." He smiled at her dead form. I looked around franticly wondering why we weren't driving away. Didn't someone see us! Isn't someone calling the police? I looked around and the street was empty. Most cars had driven off. What the fuck is going on? "It looks like a Jackson Pollock painting." He smiled.