Widow Lai

I was overjoyed.

    Sarah had given birth, and with thanks, the girl-child was healthy and alert.

    Over the next day, friends and family had traveled from all sectors in order to support my daughter-in-law. Sarah Lai was recovering in Dynasty's maternity wing, having also undergone temporary sterilization.

    Nonetheless, it was a glorious time in our lives.

    While Suki cooed over the infant, Chon and Xen embraced the new experience by bonding in front me.

    "Little brother, she is beautiful! As is her name! I know that fùqīn is eternally proud of you both!"

    "Xiōngdi, thank you," Chon mumbled with emotion. "I just hope that I can be as good-a-bāba as fùqīn, was."

    "Chon, you will be," Xen foresaw. "I've no doubt of that."

    I did not want to interrupt the Double Dragon.

    Nor did I want to cut the celebrations short.

    However, time was running out, and so I spoke up in order to get the attention of my first born. "Xen, with me, please..."

    "...Māma, sure," he quipped. "Is everything okay?"

    To avoid a scene, I misled him. "Of course, my son. Follow me to my dorm. There is something pressing that we must discuss..." With Xen at my heel, I hovered away until settled in my quarters.

    "So, mùqīn, what's going on?" Xen asked.

    Now was the time to reveal truths... "Xen, things have progressed quicker than I foresaw. And now, I realize that something is a matter of urgency."

    "Māma, you're starting to scare me," Xen shared. "What's going on...?"

    "...My son, the time has come for me to leave this sanctuary star and return to the surface."

    "Mùqīn, what are you talking about!" he screeched, his words full of absolute rebuttal. "This Star is your home!"

    "No, it is not. Earth is, and it needs me now."

    "Mùqīn, the triplet storms dissipated almost instantaneously, but still took lives. We avoided Fujiwhara, too, and in retrospect, we can analyze the fallout data from orbit."

    "We can," I said knowingly. "However, nowhere nearly as accurately. Xen, you of all people know this. My son, I am still the best in my field. Therefore, it is my moral duty to contribute. I need to go back to coordinate a team, do the first-hand research, and make sure that if the World-Ender becomes a common phenomenon, we know how best to survive them. Suki is aware of my decision, and will collate my data up here."

    "So, what? She's known, but has just said nothing about all this?"

    Momentarily, I was quiet, until Xen broke the silence again.

    "Earth Science aside, how can you want to do this right now? Your granddaughter is only a day old!" he boomed. "Is your love for her not simply enough to stay?"

    "It is," I replied in a whisper. "Nevertheless, I choose to go. My hope is that one day soon, she will understand. Xen. I know the risks. I know the storm could take my life. But I will make it there and back again, if Lord Huányīn permits it."

    "And so, what about me and Chon, eh?"

    "Xen, I hope that you both remain up here and flourish. I am sure that your fùqīn would agree that your destinies are almost complete."

    Although he tried desperately to hold them in, heavy tears eventually fell from Xen's eyes.

    "My son, Dwarven Earthian Star is a worthy lair for the Double Dragon. Moreover, the prism fire that you and your xiōngdi once breathed will be remembered throughout the ages. But now, I must take over our legacy before my time is up. My final request is that you two release your last prism flame of support, in order to help me achieve it."

    "...Alright, Laina," Xen said, his three words, informal. "Alright..."

    "T-Thank you," I whimpered back, as emotions got the better of my vocal cord.

    "Mùqīn. Dare I ask? How will you tell Chon...?"

    "...Xen. Like with you, I will call him here in a moment. Then, I will break his heart, and mine all over again."