Sarah

I had wanted him to tell me something like that for such a long time. Now that he had, I didn't know what to say. Even more worryingly, I didn't know what to do. As I stared into Chon's eyes, I forcibly decided that instinct would best define our moment. With years of pent-up emotions spurring me on, I grabbed Chon and pulled him in close. Then, for the very first time, I held his face with my palms. Emphatically, I pushed my warm lips against his, and hedonistic taste followed. Passionately, we remained locked in our embrace until tears fell from my eyes.

    "What's wrong?" he asked. To my dismay, he'd also let go of my thighs and pulled back.

    "Chon, I couldn't be happier. And, just so you know – I was always, yours... But we've wasted so much time," I explained. We couldn't ignore the reality. "Chon, if The Solution is successful – if the Lottery Draft happens – then our days might be, numbered. I don't want this to end. It's only just begun–"

    As Chon went to interject, more saline ran down my face. He was swift to wipe it away and return his sensual touch. "–Sarah, listen. You're right. We waited far too long. And with The Solution in mind, our time together is uncertain. But we'll deal with obstacles if and when they arise. For now," he concluded, "this moment is ours, okay?"

    "Okay," I whispered with redeemed joy.

    Next, I pulled him in again and asked, "where, were, we...?"

    Sadly, we were interrupted, and it was a while longer before I got to be with Chon like that again. By no fault of our own, I had noticed flashing light behind his ear. Someone had left Chon a mind-message. Then a millisecond after, my own Dot started to blink.

    It was rare, but our A.I.D.A's had overridden their built-in 'intimacy protocols'.

    Whoever sent the mind-messages had the worst timing in the universe! To be fair, though, A.I.D.A overrides were known to happen when a lot of sponsored credits were at stake.

    Frustrated, we both sighed, fluttered our eyelids closed, and accessed them.

    "Nǐ hǎo, Sarah. This is a courtesy alert from Virgin Galactica. Your sub-orbital check-in has been completed by the administrator, Gail Hom. Flight 316 from Běijīng Capital International Airport, to Astana International Airport, will commence in T-minus 2 hours."

    In that moment, we realized we'd seriously lost track of time! Hastily, we shared a loving smile, shot to our feet, and headed to Mikey's in an A.I.D.E taxi!

    We knew the lazy ox. He would've missed the Virgin Galactica flight if we hadn't collected him! So, once we had him and our combined luggage in-tow, we descended upon BCIA and graced VG's prestigious departures lounge.

    Contemplation and fun followed!

    "Dieng must really be expectin' somethin' amaaazin' to happen in Astana," Mikey slurred. He was still half asleep. "It's been months since he let us fly sub-orbital."

    "I agree," I said and glanced at Chon.

    "We'll just have to sit tight," Chon reaffirmed. "Xen will make contact. And if he doesn't, we'll just have to come up with an alternative – although the seven-minute flight won't give us much thinking time... Let's just keep our fingers crossed..."

    While Chon seemed to drift off into deep thought, Mikey put down his holo-can of Red Bison. "Chon, you still game-playin'?"

    Then Mikey winked at me – and I got it. Despite tiredness, he would aim to distract Chon from the unknown tasks ahead.

    "Sure, but not recently," Chon huffed. "I haven't had the time or been in the mood."

    "Well here, take a look at this..." Mikey teased.

    When Chon was in range, Mikey held up his wrist, stroked his iDot and navigated a holoscreen interface. "There are no distractions here and I know this'll perk you up!"

    "Wow, Ninja Star!" Chon bawled. "We haven't played in months!"

    "I know," Mikey smiled. "And Chon, the other day you said you've been workin' on your cardio... Think you're fit enough to challenge 'moi' – the undisputed champion...?"

    "...What the hell," Chon said, maybe trying to impress me. "I'll give it a damn-good shot!"

    Nodding to confirm the game was on, Mikey continued to shift his vacant hand around the interface. He did so until two fibre-mesh stepping pads beamed out from his Dot and onto the floor.

    "Are you, 'Ready Player One'?" Mikey asked his adversary – his feet now fixed onto pink and blue arrows.

    "Are you, 'Ready Player Two'??" Chon responded with confidence – hoping to beat his nemesis for the first time.

    "Chon, I was born ready!" Mikey proclaimed. "Plus, why throw away your ninja lives so recklessly?"

    "Mikey, that's a question you should ask yourself!" Chon blasted, and he did so in the gravelliest Peter Cullen voice he could muster!

    Just over half-an-hour later, Mikey had won.

    Nevertheless, Chon still beamed with glee. "Dude, I almost had you!" he said while panting hard.

    "'Poppycock!'" Mikey mused. "Chon, it's not how you lift your feet, it's how you, place your feet!" Mikey was enjoying his moment, even though he also puffed desperately for air.

    "You're just lucky, big guy," Chon insisted.

    "Luck has nothin' to do with it," the GGE said. Then he started walking back in a swaggered manner; with eyes boggling; and horizontal fists extended with index fingers jutting out. "Chon, there's only one speed – mine! And if you couldn't keep up, you shouldn't have stepped up! As Howard Joel Wolowitz once said, 'grab a napkin, homie, you just got served'!"

    We all laughed until I put an end to the friendly warfare. "Well, Chon, I don't care if you lost!" Then I followed up by intimately hugging Chon and planting another meaningful kiss on his lips. "You'll always be my Scott Pilgrim, my winner, my hero."

    I studied my partner in crime from the corners of my eyes and knew Mikey's Ninja Star victory had just been overshadowed. Now, Mikey's only focus was the fact that his two best friends had just kissed one another. "Chon! You actually told her? You actually made the move?"

    Happy to share our joy, Chon and I looked Mikey's way and nodded profusely! Ecstatic grins also broke out across our faces!

    "Wow!" Mikey shouted. "Honestly, Chon, when you did finally pluck the courage, I thought it was gonna go down as badly as a pork chop would at a Jewish wedding! But, seriously guys, I'm frickin' happy for you! After all, it took long enough!"

    "Hey!" Chon battled back, "just realize one thing, Mikey – that I'm now leading by example..."

    Undoubtedly, Chon was referring to Mikey's non-existent love life, and his 'Michelle Dilemma'...

    "Plus," Chon added, "I'm sure Sarah will agree – that all good things come to those who wait!"

    Chon winked at me as he said it, and I melted inside.

    Conclusively, we all hugged jubilantly until the VG A.I.D.A broke our concentrations. She'd announced that our sub-orbital gate was now open. It was time to get back to work.

End of Chapter 15