Chon

Mikey and Sarah weren't the only ones who'd fled.

    Xen was on his own and it was probable his entourage were already placing orders at the food courts.

    Meanwhile, it was time for me to 'fry the big fish'...

    "Little brother, even though our drink got cut short, I'd really taken you to Paulie's to, clear the air."

    "Xen, I know," I admitted. "Let's walk and see if we can find some secluded seats." It wasn't long before we sat on a rank of chairs which faced tinted holo-windows with taxis on the other side. Once comfortable, I offered Xen an ice breaker. "How's your jaw?"

    "It's getting better, but still aches in the mornings. Chon, you threw one mighty punch." We both smiled. "Honestly, I'm just relieved it was only a hairline fracture. I wouldn't have been much use in Zhōngnánhǎi, otherwise."

    "Well Xen, once again, I'm sorry for the violent outburst. That night changed our lives, as well as me in the heat of the moment. I should have controlled myself."

    "It's alright, Chon. I shouldn't have put you all in the position and had to expect some backlash. When I look back on it, I don't know what I was thinking. Sorry for compromising your work as well. It can't have been easy. And, of course I know you and Sukes have been dodging me like Swine Plague. But the opportunity will be worth it, Chon. I promise..."

    "Alright," I breathed. "I'll do my best to believe you, and trust in the opportunity. I suppose while we're airing things, why Xen? Surely you knew the storm your, 'kinky' actions would cause?"

    "I did," he said in a yielding, sorry tone. "I did. But Chon, when fùqīn died, weakness took over me. Almost all of the wisdom he ever gave us, left me. I wanted to block everything out. I wanted to let all the pain out, and the only way I felt I could do that was to indulge the way I did. Chon, when I was with those women, I didn't feel as angry about fùqīn. Missing him didn't feel as raw. But in a weird way, I'm glad I got caught. It's helped me to get out of the taboo ritual I'd created to deal with his passing. However, now, I feel I've learnt my lesson. There's an old saying; 'Having a sense of shame is one step closer to redemption.' Remember it?"

    "Of course," I said. "Look Xen, it's nice to hear you acknowledge your shame. Nice to hear you cite redemption. Sadly, it seems you're relying solely on The Solution to fix all your problems."

    "That's because I feel it will," he teased. "Not only that. I feel it will set us on a path of destiny - our family's destiny. Therefore, Chon, when the time comes, I ask you to walk away from me, The Solution, everything. Or, stick by my side, brother. Stick by your family, and play your part when the time comes... Chon, it's a choice I leave to you."

    As my brow furrowed contemplatively, Xen rose to his feet. Naturally, I reached for him and grabbed his suit sleeve. "What, you're giving me ultimatums now?"

    "Don't look at it like that," Xen answered, while gently releasing my hand. "Pre-emptively, I'm giving you a clear choice. My hope is to change the world for the better, and like fùqīn always said, we're the Double Dragon to do it. So again, little brother, it's a choice I leave to you."

    Dumbfounded, I stared at Xen, until he fastened his jacket and disappeared from sight.

End of Chapter 8