Chapter 5 - The Love Interest - Chon

The journey to the airport was quick and it wasn't long before the driver started again. "Newsman, we're here, which one do you want?"

    "Terminal Two - International - Běijīng Airlines," I said.

    "No problems," he assured me and moved into the correct lane for the junction.

    While he waited for oncoming traffic to let him through, I tapped my iDot. "A.I.D.A, what's the time please?"

    "Chon, it's 10.45."

    "Thanks." Up until that point, I was on schedule to meet my team, but I had other ideas...

    The hovermobile stopped, I paid the driver and he helped me with my belongings. Afterwards we bade each other farewell and I headed for check-in. Once I'd sorted my holopass and luggage I was ready for duty free. But before I went through security, I'd accessed the Dot behind my ear and selected a name by thought command. "Come on, answer," I remember muttering until the link was connected.

    "Hey," Sarah said.

    "Hey," I responded goofily over holoscreen. As usual, her adorable voice threw me off and awkwardness ensued until I moved the conversation on from the pleasantries. "Is Mikey with you?"

    "No not yet," she said. "He linked me five minutes ago saying he was running late. By the way, I'm at the taxi drop-off point. Where are you?"

    "I'm inside already and want to get a head start. Plus, I figure the pappos will leave you two alone if I'm not with you."

    "Alright, we'll catch you up then," she said. "On another note, have you heard from him yet?"

    "Of course I have, but I'll talk about Xen later."

    "Did the narcissist at least update you on the 'opportunity' thing he's been going on about?"

    "Sarah; be nice; he's still my xiōngdi."

    "Sorry, sorry, I know," she said forgivingly. "For your sake, I'll make more of an effort."

    "Thank you, and no - no update on the opportunity, but I'm really not worried," I said. "It'll probably be something I'm not interested in anyway, although he's still vowing something big, huge, and epic will happen."

    "Do you think it'll be revealed at the summit?"

    "Not sure," I paused, "but it's likely. I just hope the two things don't make life any worse for me and Suki."

    "I know," Sarah said. "I spoke to Sukes last week and so far, Bangkok life is treating her well. Let's just hope you both come out of this one, unscathed."

    "I've got my fingers crossed!" I said. "Anyway, sorry I can't wait for you two. I just want to get through security before Xen and his entourage turn up."

    "No worries. As always, you're forgiven," she smiled. "Where will you be?"

    "The candle shop. Going to try and get some quality incense sticks for mùqīn."

    "Okay," she said. After that there was another awkward silence, and to make matters worse I grinned at her stupidly! Luckily, she grinned back which prevented any red faces. "Anyways, I'm going now!" she said. "I can see Mikey hovering my way, and as agreed, we'll see you once we're through?"

    "Okay, sure," I said, trying to play it cool, and before she cut the link, I did. I clasped my luggage, put my head down and marched onwards.