Olaf

Of the Republican Guard, I knew every Honor Guard member who operated within Akorda Palace as part of the Presidential Band. This meant that I knew the man standing behind Xen and Lee was an imposter. I was also mystified how he had somehow penetrated our fortified defense and infiltrated our solid ranks. Knowing how significant the contingency meeting was I did not interrupt proceedings. I had kept my eyes on him and readied the Honor Guard via a multiple mind-message instead. Once the imposter was almost upon Xen, we countered his advance and took him down with unrelenting force. Our A.I.S.U's and Xen's security detail also entered the White Horde with haste and assisted our effort. As a standard precaution, multiple firearms were reached for and their sights set on the threat. For the imposter, the initial consequence was that his shoulders were reclined and dislocated from their sockets. I knew this because of the contorted sounds they had made. It was unusual, but he had kept absolutely quiet and was not phased. He had clearly experienced torture and could withstand severe pain. Despite his front, I chose to shoo some of my officers away and make him more uncomfortable by sitting on his spine. And I did so with pleasure.

    Then I thought about pulling my DV-2.

    But I did not want to show off.

    Instead, I un-holstered my Makarov and used the end of it to tap the back of his skull. The imposter was exactly where I had wanted him, and I had hoped he would give me a reason to deliver a pistol-whip. Next, I turned to Aurora, fluttered my eyelids closed, and awaited instruction over mind-message.

    Personally, I would have executed him right then and there to make an example.

    My reasons?

    As a politician, diplomatic resolution was always the right approach.

    As an ex-military serviceman, removing an imminent threat always took priority.

    Despite this, Aurora was my leader, and I would carry out whatever she respectfully asked - be it merciless - or merciful.

    Before Aurora could command me, The Pink Witch called out to everyone.

    With this distraction, I was wary, and looked up to the holotron. "All of you, stand down, and let my Merc off the floor," she whispered. "Refuse me, and tomorrow, you'll all be forced to take the day off work. You'll spend the time crying your eyes out and identifying your wives and children in your nearest morgues. And, just in case you think I'm bluffing, know that Olghetta; Masha; Kamila; Liza; Yana; and Dinara, will be the very first to have pretty pink tags tied to their knobbly fucking feet."

    Koyanshyk.

    Dinara was my one-year-old daughter.

    The Pink Witch had me by the fucking balls; all of us in fact; and I grimaced inwardly.

    I was quick to comply. I got off the mercenary, stepped back, and flicked my suit jacket so that I could holster my gun.

    The others yielded too and removed their firearms from sight.

    As I stared into The Pink Witches' luminous eyes, I did think, 'fuck the rumors', about what she was capable of. I had also wished she was in front of me. Given that opportunity, I would have cancelled O-Kenai Ashii where she fucking stood and choked her out in broad daylight! To my deep frustration, this opportunity was not on offer to me. Along with everybody else, I was rendered an obedient fool and we watched the mercenary rise to his feet, pop his limbs back into place, and pull a jagged blade from underneath his military midriff. With a sordid smile on his face the mercenary sauntered in front of Xen and pulled him up from his seat by the lapels of his suit.