Chon

Despite having a dry throat, I managed to gulp away my astonishment. Then in response to Xen's contingency hope, I concentrated on the first commentator. "Mr. Secretary, I share your ambitious belief," Aurora said with conviction. "We Kazakhs are fortunate that only weakened cyclones have ever moved over our homeland. If Seth or Sadie had - then I've no doubt that the completion of my grandfather's 2050 Strategy would have been prolonged or squandered entirely - thus compromising our current accomplishments and influential position in the world today."

    Back in 2012, Barron Lebedev announced his Strategy. It had aimed for widespread reform of Kazakhstan's social, political and economic infrastructures, which they'd achieved ahead of schedule in 2045.

    I was then keen to hear what Aurora's prime minister would say when she motioned to him for an opinion. But before Olaf uttered anything, he'd appeared distracted, with eyes fixed on one of the republican guards stood against the opposite wall. It wasn't until Aurora prompted him again, did Olaf join the talk. "Sorry, everyone...

    "Secretary Lai, as far as a contingent orbital program is concerned, my Madame President has consulted our entire Government Council. As of today, she has majority support from the Senate, Parliament, the Majilis, and my Akims. If we can strike a balanced deal, we will be with you." Olaf smiled, then returned his scrutinizing gaze to the guard stood meters behind Xen and Lee.

    Meanwhile, my brother acknowledged the hosts with genuine tone. "Madame President and Prime Minister, I truly appreciate Kazakhstan's participation and friendship. You will not regret it, I promise you."

    At the opposite end of the table, I'd nervously clasped my hands together. Xen now had multiple promises to keep. And grant.

    Next, Xen set his sights on the imperial monarch. "Emperor Heimachi, your wise thoughts, please..."

    Would the New Japanese be so easily persuaded? Since 2035, they had become a nation of relentless political negotiators. This was due to the complex land-purchase talks with Mongolia, which eventually allowed Lokshu1 to come into existence.

    Anho bowed before Xen and spoke. "Secretary Lai; after Chiba spewed his tidal wrath; we fled our four sodden islands, knowing that Old Japan would be no more. With your nation's help, we approached the Mongolians, and eventually executed The Relocation - something the international community still considers mankind's greatest undertaking this century. However, it caused unimaginable strain on my people. Secretary Lai, I have my doubts about asking them to make the same type of sacrifice, again. Nonetheless...Lokshu1 will not grant us refuge forever - not if our scientists' findings continue to support some of The Elders and your World-Ender theory. Therefore, we too wish to align ourselves with Kazakhstan and China in a contingent, orbital, capacity. New Japan understands that this sacrificial sewing will be what our children reap as salvation."

    "Emperor Heimachi," Xen inhaled with glee, "your words glow with wisdom and grace. I am eternally grateful for New Japan's support and friendship."

    With the agenda established, Xen turned to geographical factors. "Okay. Now, of all the grassland nations, I have always ranked Kazakhstan and Mongolia as the highest. Your transcontinental countries are land-locked, and perfect for Land Chosen Areas."

    Lee, Aurora, Olaf, and Anho nodded in agreement. Yan chose to verbalize a response. "Mr. Secretary, I totally agree," the rising sun deputy said. He did so while looking Xen's way. "Along with the other Stan countries, I truly wish that the Mongolian leaders had shown more interest in The Solution and acknowledged your invitation to this private meet. Having those sparse regions and the Gobi Desert as additional territories for LCA's would have been a real asset."

    "Prime Minister Kazuya," Xen sighed, "it is a shame, indeed. Nevertheless, we shall just have to hope that one day, they all utilize the Eastern Steppe and the surrounding landscapes to their full potentials.

    "Luckily," he then breathed, "Madame President Lebedev has assured me that Kazakhstan's Western Steppe - specifically Baikonur in Akmola Province - could be our coalition's regional base of operations..."

    My senses lit up with the mention of Baikonur! Historically, it was an important aeronautical region which Russia had loaned from the Kazakhs for decades. However, a few years back, they'd ended their occupation in favor of a newly-cleared area back on Russian soil.

    "...New friends," Xen said with gravitas, "with the world's oldest and largest launch area vacant and ready for occupancy - Baikonur is the obvious choice for a triple-combined, Land Chosen Area."

    Based on what Mikey, Sarah, and I were absorbing, it had felt as though the potential contingency would easily manifest.

    Most definitely, Xen was breathing fire again.