Widow Lai

Back in our lab, myself, Xen, and Suki went over the data for a second time.

    Even though this was futile; and took us away from Cassius' project; I knew it would have been rude to dismiss the president's request.

    Once it was complete, I had excused myself for the lavatory. The Dynasty lab door re-materialized upon my exit. Thereafter, I had quickly changed my course, shifting down an adjacent and meandering corridor with concealed doorways. Finally, I had stopped at one, in order to enter a private room. Before doing so, my A.I.D.A had performed an immediate scan, which confirmed that nothing had locked onto my iDot's security signature. Once inside, I checked over my vault and its contents - the very place which held my secrets - and certain that everything was in order, I finally sat. Meditating for a moment was also called for. Nervously, I had envisaged this part of my plan unfolding for some while.

    After sensing the presence of Chi, it assured me that there was equilibrium in my being, as well as the orbital tendrils anchoring Tengfei to this astral plain. Therefore, I plucked my courage once more, and made another leap, worthy of his existence.

    I navigated my Dot.

    I found her contact.

   Then, I established a transmission to The Youngest of Elders, who resided in isolation on the Scandinavian surface.

    "...Hello, Laina," the forty-five-year-old doctor began. "How is life among the stars, old friend...?"

    "...Greta, it is tranquil and remarkably astonishing. To be honest, with my condition as bad as it is, I cannot complain."

    "That's good to hear," the legendary recluse, offered. "And please - take it easy.

    "Before I forget, please do tell Cassius that I said hello, too."

    "I will," I assured the woman who made the surname, 'Thunberg', famous. "Anyway, Doctor, tell me; twenty years on; how are you coping with the 'summer winters'?"

    "They're nice," she rasped, "and eventually, you get used to them. But instead, I would much prefer to just have the 'winter winters', back."

    "Greta, with respect then, are you still on course...?"

    "Laina, absolutely..."

    Of all The Elders, I admired her the most.

    Thunberg, the youngest person to have ever been acknowledged, was now a seasoned glaciologist. This was an extension of my field, and back when I was in the Altai Mountains, I had realized that I did not have enough expertise in it. Naturally, I was insistent that more academics be accomplished in the field, so that planetary civilizations with polar caps could be understood in more detail.

    Despite the young activist heeding my call, for her, it was too late...

    By 2030, Wider Scandinavia had lost every single one of its glaciers.

By 2035, Baiko, the last ever glacier - which had made me renowned, was gone.

    The first event inspired Greta to, strategize.

    Meanwhile, the second motivated Thunberg to, act.

    Since then, the heroine has been the curator of The Okjökull Initiative.

    In the persistent fight against Climate Destabilization, Greta used her celebrity and prominence to eventually rally Iceland, Norway, Denmark and Sweden. Finland, too, and even the new country, Eastern Russia. She did so under the banner of, 'The Nordic Realm', with the technological triumph of their union being a godly instrument, 'The Bomgenosis Polar Array'. Planned to be ready for use by 2055, the array will hopefully create new and expansive glaciers in the frozen region, in a bid to restore the glory of the North Pole.

   "...Okay, Dr. Thunberg," I finally said. "Based on your progress, have my recommendations for elemental control been equating?"

    "Laina, they have. Your perturbations are ground-breaking, just as I knew they would be. And as far as geoengineering is concerned, we would not be capable of doing this without you."

    Sharing a mutual respect, we both bowed.

    "Greta, I must confess. I did not link you to just get a progress report..."

    "...Laina, I know," Thunberg smiled. "Based on the storms, you would like our help..."

      Most intuitive, the doctor was. "...Greta, I would. While there is still unsettled activity in the sky, I need to know, first-hand, what we are dealing with. Only fresh data will prove if Mega Fujiwhara is capable of a glacial cooling trend..."

    "Well, old friend, if you do return to the surface," the glaciologist finished, "then my team and I are on standby. No ask is too great. Whatever you need, tell us, and it is yours..."

    Before I could even wish Greta thanks, or bid her farewell, my A.I.D.A had scrambled the transmission. Mentally, it did so with urgency, which pointed to something serious and personal. "Laina Lai, good orbital day to you," the Designated Assistant began. "I must apologize for overriding your privacy setting during a transmission. However, Suki, Xen, and Chon have tried linking you with vigor.

     "Sarah has gone into labor, and she is heavily dilated. Holoscans of her pelvic area approximate the birth of the female child in, T-minus 3 hours.

     "Instruct me please..."

     "A.I.D.A, thank you!" I praised. "Huányīn is good to me and you are a godsend! Mind-message them all and explain that I am on my way! Have my hover-platform collect me from my sanctuary!"

    "Yes Laina, as you wish."

    As I waited for my transport to arrive, I reassessed my goals.

    At the left side of my vault, I glared at the holoscreens which monitored my short-term goal, 'SS-CSP'.

    To the right side, I stole a glance at the holoscreen which continued to track my medium-term goal, the Three Gifts I had bestowed upon, 'The Three Wise Men'.

    Finally, I turned and departed the encrypted room. I mounted my upright holo-platform and began to hover with haste. The reason for this was that the catalyst of my long-term goal, was about to enter the world.

    Thanks to the spirit of Tengfei, things were still on course.

    Furthermore, soon enough, my destiny would come to an end.

    And another's, would begin.