Suki

Just as planned, Dwarven Earthian Star spent four days preparing for the new mission.

    And during that time, it had no immediate effect on The Shadow Project.

    Nicholas was glad for no more interruptions.

    Unfortunately, before the preparation of the star was complete, a new agenda had arisen.

    Back on Earth, the storm season was beginning to pick up...

    "Yí mā, take a look. It is prominent."

    My aunt swiped the holoscreen from my wrist, dropped it onto hers, then glared into it with meteorological purpose. "Hmm..." The Elder grumbled, deep in contemplation.

    "...It's at least a Category 4, isn't it?" I guessed.

    "Suki, indeed, it is. The UN's weather warning is accurate with my forecast. It is also becoming more aggressive by the second. With this cyclone growing over the Indian Ocean, and hurricanes disrupting the Mexican Gulf, this second pilgrimage cannot happen. Not yet."

    "Good luck telling Lee and The Eligible that..." My jibe was pessimistic, but true.

    Within the hour, Widow Lai was gracefully sat with The Coalition and explaining the atmospheric risks. "As you all can appreciate, creating these vessels and blasting them through our turbulent sky was one thing. However, trying to descend them while tropical storms are raging, is another."

    "Widow Lai," Stephen began, with an air of honor in his tone, "the storms are thousands upon thousands of miles away from Baikonur. Are you absolutely sure that our mission shouldn't go ahead?"

    Without words, all looked at The Elder. "Admiral, I am certain of what I say. Do not underestimate the power of augmented Fujiwara, nor its potential to dramatically shift the Jet Streams..."

    "...Okay," Stephen eventually yielded, who then cast his eyes upon Xen and Lee. "Okay. Gentlemen, over to you."

    Sat in front of my yí mā, our president wasted no time in showing respectful acknowledgement. "Dear Widow, since the inception of these programs, none of you Lais have let us down. I see no tangible reason why you would start to now."

    "Thank you, Mr. President," she said with grace.

    "Everyone, despite my initial desire to please The Eligible aboard, for now, I do not think it wise to disembark," Lee revised. "What we have learned could endanger all that we have worked so hard to establish. Therefore, I suggest that we postpone the second pilgrimage until the storm season is over. If agreed, say, 'aye'."

   "'A-Aye'!" all parties confirmed in staggered unison. "A-Agreed!"

    However, two days later, it began.

    "GROUNDED CITIZENS OF THE COALITION," the official A.I.D.A declared, "THIS IS A MORBID WEATHER WARNING! WARNING!! WARNING!!! There are 3 Super Cyclones simultaneously surging and building momentum in the North Pacific, South Pacific and Indian Oceans! All ranked at Category 5, 'Susan', 'Sedrick' and 'Sabine's' trajectories are erratic and constantly shifting! Therefore, all local and national movement across our region is prohibited! Prepare to utilize Personal Disaster Kits, preferably in the safety of your homes!"

    Once the warning had been heeded by all, ultimate panic was swift to set in.

    For those of us up here, the agitation was seen over a multitude of holoscreens, as families already torn apart by The Draft, tried to be courageous and say final goodbyes.

    Lee was granted emergency coalition powers aboard Dwarven Earthian Star, with talks quick to resume on The Wealth Core's bridge.

    "Mr. President, what do you want me to do?" Stephen enquired.

    "Admiral, send word to General Kanxia and Emo. I know it'll be a while before The Eligible calm down, but up here, we must maintain order and control! There's nothing we can do for their loved ones now! As soon as you've done that, link Sam and the rest of Virgin Galactica. With a coordinated effort down on Las Cruces, Baikonur, and up on Elysium, the goal will be to make sure that The Cylinder and Fortress Docks are locked down with engineer specialists on standby and braced for anything!"

    "I'm on it!" Stephen responded - who was no doubt worried for Ling's safety.

    "And what do you need of us?" Anho asked with purpose, while Aurora quickly nodded.

    "Emperor and Madame President, I am taking our official A.I.D.A offline. With the help of Yan and Olaf, talk to the local representatives and assure the people! Offer as much guidance as possible!

    "And Xen," Lee breathed, "can you, Widow Lai, and Suki do what you're all best at! Link A.I.D.A's and run every weather simulation possible! We need to know what type of storms we're actually dealing with!"

    "We already have," Xen came back - his words filled with pure dread. "And, I think we already know... We're all in agreement at this stage. If those three storms get any closer to each other, then they could lead to augmented Fujiwhara. Worse still, if they increase in category size before merging, then they could well be the ingredients of the apocalyptic World-Ender."

    Based on Mother Nature's progressive scorn, we now had hours to pore over The Shadow Project a last time. Furthermore, we'd need to be ready, especially if the World-Ender and the darkness it could bring, was soon to come to light.