Michelle

As the holoscreen in the BTV conference room went blank, we'd all exhaled and stood up. Dieng, Gail, Charlie, and Mae-Zu wasted no time either. They sneered at me with a passion. I was still an outsider in their eyes and secretly loyal to Chon. Then because I wasn't quick to defend the Lai Brothers, the four of them started to pass opinions among themselves.

    Dieng spat venom first. "Someone needs to section that mother fucker! Xen can't be a sane man! International votes, lotteries, and spaceships? Seriously, why haven't doctors sedated him already?"

    "'God knows'," Charlie said. "But at least we'll have plenty of tabloids for the next twelve months."

    "Never mind that," Gail stressed. "What if the world actually agrees with it?"

    "As a majority, we never will," Mae-Zu responded. "The Russians and North Koreans are the best example. They're too stubborn and headstrong. I mean, proposing it is one thing. But expecting everyone to be on board in actually doing it is something else entirely."

    "Well, maybe this is what the world needs...?" I suggested. Even though it's what I was thinking, I'd shared it with the wrong people. Consequently, all four of them scoffed, and shot more disgruntled looks my way.

    "No, Zungai!" Dieng barked at me. "What the world needs, is a no-confidence majority of one hundred percent! I'm telling you, Xen must be a fucking undiagnosed schizophrenic or something, and the sooner someone has him assessed and put away, the better."

    Although I'd expected their reactions, I had no clue how Sarah, Mikey and Chon might be taking Xen's revelations. So, like The Flash, I acted with haste. "Please excuse me," I whispered upon exiting the conference room. "I need some fresh air." I took the elevator to reception and picked up speed. However, as I went to dart past Henry on security, he put his hand out, protectively.

    "Michelle, don't!" he screeched. "Look. Look outside..."

    I lifted my head and saw reams of people stood in front of BTV. "Henry, who are they?"

    "Michelle; from what I've ascertained over holo-com; they're citizens who want answers, and answers they feel Chon can give in Xen's stead."

    "Shit," I said. "Not good. Not good. Not good!" After venting, I turned back, headed for a secluded lavatory cubicle and decided to com-link Chon.

    "Michelle," Chon said with concern, "everything okay?"

    "No, unfortunately not," I explained. "Look, I know things have been really awkward with us recently, but things are getting out of control here."

    "What's going on?"

    "Chon, the building's bombarded with people and based on what Henry's telling me, they're here for you."

    After a physical sigh over holoscreen, Chon responded. "Michelle, I expected this. Sadly, there's nothing I can do about it. Just keep me informed for when I get back."

    "Will do," I confirmed, also taking my chance to wave at Sarah and Mikey. Thereafter, I cut the link and returned to the uncomfortable fray of the office.

    More than anything, my hope was to eavesdrop on Dieng and the others and regain Chon's trust, if I could. I wanted my three friends back indefinitely and this was the way to do it. While I waited for my moment, I took the chance to see how the rest of the world was reacting. With anticipation, I checked U.S. coverage first...