Xen

Hastily, the Jong Brothers, Ling, and Stephen followed me backstage. I contemplated a few secluded areas for us to refocus after Boris' intervention. However, I was bombarded with two urgent com-links - one from my president - and the other from the man I hoped would soon be president...

    "Xen, what the hell!" Ming Du Han screeched over holoscreen. He did so from his west-wing chamber in Zhōngnánhǎi. "Your introductory pitch for The Solution sounded a lot worse compared to how you sold it to me and my team! But we'll try and remain calm. Xen, we still want the 'special asylum' you've promised... You still have our support."

    "Mr. President, it's a tough crowd, but thank you," I said graciously. "When the time comes, you won't regret it..."

    Then I cut the link and accessed the other. "Xen, I hope Boris' recess hasn't thrown you?"

    "Lee, of course it hasn't," I said to the green presidential candidate. "We'll get back on track as soon as we can."

    "I know you will," Mishina said. And he did so from his east-wing chamber in Zhōngnánhǎi. "Xen; just stick to the vision; stick to the plan. Eventually glory and redemption will be ours..."

    Galvanized once more, I smiled at Lee, and disconnected the holoscreen link. I knew he was right - just as long as I could endure whatever the world threw at me.

    A second later, I'd looked at my associates and my aeronautics engineer was first to say something. "Xen, do you think we should head towards our Holding Room or the Refreshment Conservatory?"

    "Stephen, the conservatory," I beamed. "Look, this is our historical moment, and we shouldn't shy away from it. Let's move."

    As we reached the conservatory's guarded entrance, Boris and a police officer stared us down. "Xen, I knew you'd come, but ut-uh - I don't think so. What you pulled earlier was enough controversy to last everyone a damn lifetime. I suggest you all head for your Holding Room."

    "Boris," I said expectedly, "you know we can't do that. Look, I've got to talk to these people."

    Wearing a motley frown, Boris barked back. "Xen, you'll get your chance, when we reconvene!"

    "Old friend, this idea's been created by me; it's something I must follow through; and it starts with them. Come on, step aside, for old time's sake?" After slumping next to the officer, Boris turned sideways. Kindly, he'd let us pass. Once inside, the VIP's gawped at us, and the worst glares came from Albers and members of the financial sectors. However, Mikey, Sarah, and Chon merely stood back in some kind of anticipation.

    Before I could speak to the VIP group, the first person took their shot. "Now listen here, Mister. Lai! I don't know where you think you can go with such'a fuckin' cuckoo idea, but what you've said so far is madness! Absolute frickin' madness!" The New Yorker was passionate while whining. "Just so you know, I'm here representin' the IMF - the International Monetary Fund - and there's no way on God's Green Earth my organization's gonna support this! I'd lose my fuckin' job!"

    Overlapping what the New Yorker said, a Swiss national intervened. "Mr. Lai, you haven't even finished your presentation and already the very idea of it sounds flawed! I don't see how the World Bank will be able to ever comprehend financing or part-financing such a thing!"

    Before any of the others interjected, I had extended my hands and waved them up and down in a slow, appeasing, fashion. But even with that, premature opinions continued to be flung at me. And typically, the next question was rhetorical, and from Robin. "So, Xen, let me get this right," Albers breathed, her South African accent, thick. "In the midst of climate austerity, you're here trying to instigate some sort of fokking Star Trek? Xen, screw you, and screw the whores you pissed on!" Albers had well and truly slashed me with her marbled claws.

    "Robin, that's enough!" Samir demanded. The secretary-general had finally entered the room. "Enough. This ruckus ends now."

    As his statement lifted the room from eternal darkness, I sensed Chon's awkwardness ease. Maybe Huányīn had shone light on him? Either way, I took my chance to shine, too. "Everyone, you are all here for a reason," I stated first and foremost. "Secondly, know The Solution has taken the institutions you represent into consideration. So, once you're aware of The Solution's entirety, two choices will be available to you - confident endorsement - or non-confident rejection. Until then, I'm kindly asking you all return to the Main Hall."

    A strange silence ensued. And despite the animosity in the air, it felt like I'd gotten through to them. As folks walked or barged past me, this was somewhat confirmed when Chon opened a mind-message link.

     'Well done, xiōngdi, very smooth.'

    'Thanks, little brother, we're getting there. And for earlier on, thanks for asking the all-important question.'

    'No worries, Xen. Now just focus on your victories. I'm with you, and the Double Dragon is one.'

    With the positive headway, Boris and Samir worked on sending out a second transmission. It authorized world networks to resume their live broadcasts, and for The Solution to continue.

End of Chapter 10