Sarah

To say that I still felt bad was an understatement. I felt dreadful. While we were sat in front of Lee Mishina, Michelle was back in the studio and suffering, alone. She did a great job of fronting out her disappointment, but I knew her. Like the big guy, she loved her food and hadn't been eating properly. I knew this because despite putting fresh bread circles on her desk when I could, the one I'd left there this morning was still untouched. Thanks to our Holo-Suite capability, I could see it in the bottom corner of the studio's feedback frame.

    As for Mikey...well, the GGE hadn't been the same since The Draft. In fact; digging back through his Legendary Pop Culture Archive; the only thing I could compare him to was Maverick after the demise of, Goose. Their world had spun out of control and there was nothing me or Chon could do about it.

    Talking of Mikey, he tried to focus on the task at hand, rather than Michelle's troubled voice and opening question which came through my audio feed. He did so by adjusting the live frame, giving our senior his cue, and linking the broadcast. "...Well Michelle, as you can see, I'm stood here with 'the greenest of them all', Lee Mishina! Mr. President," Chon started after a turn of his head, "thank you for speaking with me today. I know you're constantly busy with The Contingency."

    "No need for any thanks, Chon. While our Environment Secretary continues with the final preliminaries of The Medical, I'm more than happy to respond to Green Justice."

    With Xen no longer doing interviews, Lee was picking up his slack.

    "Alright, let's press on then," Chon breathed. "Mr. President, what do you have to say in response to Robin Albers' recent comments?"

    "If I'm honest, I would say that she got her wish," our leader explained. "Chon, most of humanity will now remain on Planet Earth. And so, hopefully her organization can continue their profound work, as well as trying to accomplish some of the things they're passionate about. Such as, assisting The Youngest of Elders...and planting those 1 billion trees."

    "Mr. President, despite a positive and mature response, it sounds as though you're stifling a, 'but'," Chon insinuated.

    Lee smiled. "'But'," he then added, "with an exception of The Okjökull Initiative...flora dispersment won't be enough to fix or save our civilization. Not if and when the World-Ender comes. So, to those in our Coalition who are still apprehensive about our ascension, I say this. 'Sometimes we need to believe, before we can see. Rather than see, in order to believe'..."

    I could testify to that. For those of us who were Eligible, we would need faith above all else when the time came to rise.

    Having paused for a moment, Chon went on to steer the conversation in a new direction. "Mr. President, for the Green Justice response, thank you. Now, moving forwards, what can Eligibles expect from The Medical which starts today?"

    "Well, Chon, at noon, Eligibles will be mind-messaged with the location details for their allocated 'CMC'. The vast majority of 'Contingency Medical Centers' have been set up inside of sports stadiums which our Coalition Armed Forces are currently patrolling. As Eligibles arrive throughout the rest of April, they'll be registered. Once bloods have been taken, they'll then be chipped with security implants. Chon, to be specific, these implants will glow golden on a permanent basis and be imbedded on the left forearm next to Fuji-Apple biotec ports. To follow, they'll undergo physicals. If medically cleared, Eligibles will be temporarily discharged. Furthermore, they'll leave with courses of anti-radiation and anti-nausea medication to complete during May..."

    "...Okay," Chon croaked in a wary tone. "And after that, Mr. President?"

    "Well, on June 1st, Eligibles will return to CMC's as outpatients. By then, medication would have taken effect on the body and begun to build resilience of immune systems for the 10-year exodus. Based on this eventuality, we will proceed with intense trials and focus on gravity adjustment - of which I hope won't be too much to endure..."

    Damn. I wanted to release stress by fondling my pixie hair. But my hands were latched onto audio dials. I gulped with nervousness instead.

    Coiled around his part of the Holo-Suite, Mikey had little choice but to follow my lead and gulp too.

    Lastly, despite his game-face being in tact, Chon was also forced to succumb to the bobbing of the throat. "Mr. President," he went on, "I assume you're talking about, Centrifuge Arms?"

    "Yes, Chon, that's correct," Lee said. "They'll act as primary simulators to replicate changes in gravitational force between Earth and Earth Orbit."

    Chon responded with an air of apprehension about him. "I've flown sub-orbital a few times now and basic centrifuge was a prerequisite. However, regarding The Medical and this intensive training, I'll be the first to declare my fear and make an obvious statement: 'As far as Nastars are concerned - we're in for one hell of a ride...'"

    Based on my recent blackouts aboard VG-Voyager, I knew what Chon said to be true.

    Therefore, I planned on honing my G-Loc technique to be truly worthy of my Eligibility. Not only that, but I wanted to respect the golden opportunity I'd be given. And that was the possibility of escaping the World-Ender, being with Chon, and safely dwelling among the stars.

    In respect of Mikey and Michelle's plight, more than anything, I would not waste it.