The Only Ones Around (Michelangelo)

Your apartment had been Mikey's place of refuge for a couple of days now.  Recent events in his family made him flee to your home, taking refuge there during the day and returning home at night. He would rise early to make sure no one would catch him on his way out.

It had nearly been a week. You would watch as he would stare at his phone and click the red button to hang up on his brothers, even his dad. They knew where he was; where else would he go? They even tried to get a hold of you which pissed Mikey off even more. It was shocking to see him so angry for them trying to get through you to get to him. Mikey tells them off, and you don't receive any type of contact from them.  They weren't going to use you.

Fights were common among Mikey's family, but this was probably the worst you had seen.  You weren't there to witness it physically but just the way Mikey was acting you knew it wasn't good. 

The silence in the apartment was maddening and uncomfortable. Even though Mikey talked with you it still irked you how he acted when you weren't in the room. You couldn't hear him singing, couldn't hear him making comments at the TV, he didn't even laugh at his phone like he usually does.  The boy didn't even pick up a damn PS controller.  It was heartbreaking. 

Mikey sits on your couch staring mindlessly at the TV show that was on. You didn't recognize it but he seemed to be dazing into it pretty well. At least it was distracting him.

"Mikey," you say, and it gets his attention. He looks up at you and gives you a weak smile.

"Hey." Even his response had no spark, no nickname to call you. "Sit."

You do as he says and sit as close as you can, nearly on his lap as you pull him in for a gentle and long kiss. He rests his forehead against yours afterwards, exhaling sharply and holding you close to his side.  

His phone must have been in his pocket, as you feel it vibrate against your thigh. Mikey audibly sighs with annoyance as he once again takes it out to look at it. It was from Raph.

"It's 9pm," Mikey begins, "I should get going."

You hold onto him tight by the hand, and it prevents him from getting up off the couch.

"Mikey you don't have to go home." His eyes widen a bit at your words; even his head tilts to question you.

"I know home isn't really a good place for you right now," you say, "and I know you hate sneaking in to avoid your family, and getting up so damn early to crash here. Why don't you just stay the night?"

For the first time in nearly a week you finally see him crack a smile. It wasn't a big one, as only one corner of his mouth rises, but it was something. It even made you smile in return and you can feel your chest tingle.

"You'd want me to?" Mikey asks, a hand running up along your leg. You nod in response.

"Of course. Stay as long as you need."

He huffs happily and looks down momentarily, thanking you silently and thinking how lucky he is to have you at this very moment. You've done nothing but give and give these past few days for him and he gave nothing in return. You didn't expect him to, nor did you want him to give you anything. You wanted him to be happy, his old self. You let him take the time he needed to ready himself to go back home.

"Wha'd I do to deserve someone like you, hmm?" Mikey coos, chuckling softly afterwards. He pulls you in for a kiss and wraps you in his arms tightly, burying his nose into your neck and breathing softly.

Kissing your neck, you can hear him mumble into your shoulder. "I love you angelcakes."

You giggle in response, lightly caressing the edges of his shell, and you hear him beginning to churr against you. It's an odd feeling, a subtle vibration from his chest, but it feels rather nice against you. Comforting.