Mentor and Student (Donatello)

Tap tap tap tap tap....

was all you could hear as you got closer to the dojo.  From the echo it made it was Donnie hitting his bo staff on something hard.  It was a fast tapping so he was focused on only whatever he was hitting on.

You peeked around the wall into the dojo to see Donnie, as you expected, hitting a wooden training dummy in the corner, flipping and twirling his staff in the air with skilled hands.  You could hear him making small grunting noises overtime he swung his staff at the target, and the way he moved his weapon around it was almost hypnotizing to watch.  You slowly walked in and folded your arms across your chest, smiling as you drew nearer; he never suspected you.

Breaking the silence, you stepped up and spoke, "Hey there."

All his concentration was lost, and was replaced by fright and shock; his bo staff flung up into the air and out of his hands as he twirled quickly around to face the one who sneaked up on him.  Once he saw your smile he adjusted his glasses and cleared his throat, picking up his staff that fell at his feet.  You chuckled as he smiled weakly at you.

"D-did you really have to sneak up on me?" he said innocently, watching as you walked up to him to give him a kiss.

"Sorry.  Just wanted to let you know I was here."  You eyed his staff.  "How long have you been in here?"

"About an hour," he says.  "I was almost done anyways."

Don caught you eyeing his staff, his eyes staring down at it after.  He then remembered when you, on purposely, whacked him across the back of the head with his own weapon.  (Remember "Playing With His Weapon?") You didn't see him, but he was watching you play with his bo staff back then, impressed with how easily you twirled it in your hands.  You had a natural talent for it, but you never considered it.  Don smiled and held his weapon in front of you.

From the look on your face you had no idea why he was giving you his staff, so you looked at him like he was insane.  He chuckled in response.

"You remember hitting me in the head with this don't you?" he asked.  "Which you never apologized for by the way..."

"Yeah?"

"I saw you messing with it.  Show me again."

He saw and never told you?  You slowly took the staff.

"Donnie, I was just messing around with it." you say.  

"Oh, come one (y/n).  Just give it a few spins."

Sighing, you slowly walked into the middle of the dojo, the staff slowly beginning to twirl in your hands.  Your (e/c) eyes watched your hands and fingers as the danced around the wood, your mind so focused on this thing now that you don't hear Donnie come up from behind you.  It was then though when he chuckled that you dropped the staff, concentration lost.

"Just messing with it huh?" he said as you turned to him.  You smiled to yourself at what you had done.  Back then when you picked it up you weren't really thinking about what your hands were doing, you were only messing around with it.  It came easily to you now that you thought on it.

"Guess I have a knack for it," you say.  "How about a lesson sometime?"

Don tilts his head slightly at you.  "Now you're willing to use it?" 

"I never really realized before what I was doing with it."

Don smiled, happy that you took an interest in learning how to wield his weapon.  Maybe just basic things, close combat, self defense.  It wouldn't hurt to know how to protect yourself.  

You stood still as you see Don's hand reach for the side of your face, fingers resting on your cheek and thumb caressing your skin.  

"I'll make you a warrior." Don says as he smiles brightly, giving out a small laugh.  You give him on in return.

"You can try, but good luck sweetheart."

"Ah, that's 'Mentor', thank you." he says, giving you a peck on the lips.  "Now get ready.  Lesson starts now."