11. Meeting the Family (Donatello)

You stared at the many screens as Donnie explained how each of them contributed to his family's safety. Some were in the surrounding tunnels just outside of his home, some above ground and inside his home itself. He continued to excitedly show you all of his experiments and what he was working on now; to say you were impressed would not be the right word. Elated, mesmerized, astounded.  Where did he get it all?  Your head swivels in all directions taking in how much Donnie had learned over his entire lifetime.

The way he talked about his work made him so excited, as if he was a two-year-old with a piece of candy and to actually have someone interested in it just made him giddier and overjoyed. It was quite adorable when he'd turn to you to see if you were still with him, and upon seeing your eyes beam with excitement and awe he continues on like he did.  

"Donnie, this is. . . all so. . . amazing,"  you say to him, earning a smile from the turtle.  He motioned his head to the side for you to follow him more into his home.

He led you to the main living area that had a large round table with chairs. Must have been the dining table. Upon entering that area, you're met with another figure you hadn't recognized.

"(Y/n), this is my brother Leo,"  Donnie says as he came up behind you. Leo nods his head to you gently and smiles.  

"It's nice to meet you (y/n)," he begins, "we've been expecting you."

Your brow raises. "You have?"

"I'm sure Donnie's already mentioned it to you," Leo begins, "but you are one of few who know about us. You'll know more soon."

The older brother motions both you and Donnie to follow him. You feel a hand gently set on your shoulder, looking up to see Don smiling warmly down at you. It's enough to get you to follow beside him.

Eventually you are brought to a rather serene and secluded room; it kept training dummies, a makeshift weapon rack as well as a small sitting area for what you would think of as for meditation or yoga. Like every room that you've seen here, you've been blown away with everything you've come into contact with. 

Upon entering you're met with two more brothers; Mikey and Raphael.  Mikey wore the orange mask, and just by the way his face lit up when he saw you and the rather energetic aura he had, he must be the fun one of the bunch.

"Hey, wassup!" he cheerily greets you, extending a hand for you to shake. When you accept it, you can't help but laugh at how fast pace he shakes your hand. "You gotta be (y/n)," he says letting you go, "Donnie's new friend."

You chuckled a bit and nodded your head.  "That's me," you say shyly, looking down at yourself.

With a small laugh and the biggest smile you've ever seen, he playfully bows to you like some noble.

"Michelangelo is the name," he coos, "you can call me Mikey."

"Will do," you chuckle.

As intimidating as Raphael was, he eventually spoke up to you; however, it was with his arms folded over his chest. You crane your neck upwards to meet his gaze.

"Raph," he simply states, watching you nod slowly. "Nice to meet you."

 While on your visit there, he didn't seem to mind your presence, but he kept an eye on you most of the time.  Thankfully, despite how intimidating he was a few moments ago, he seemed to relax a more and more as you sat and talked with his brothers.

However, there was still one more person who you hadn't met yet, and that was Donnie's father and Sensei, Master Splinter. 

Leo had gone to collect him, and it wasn't long before you were standing to meet what seemed to be a human sized rat dressed in many layers of fabric. You greet him with a warm smile despite your amazement upon seeing him. 

"Welcome (y/n)," he nods to you. You return one of your own. "I've been hoping to see you, as we all have." He then sits just across from you while the rest of the group resumes to their previous seat as well just like you. "I'm sure you have questions."

You couldn't have even imagined how to begin to break down their history and how they become what they are now, or how they even survived. But upon hearing the story, the events started to click in your brain; you were too young to witness it until you grew older to hear about it, but the events with April's father and his lab explosion came back to you. You had heard it randomly at school one day, not knowing how it started or what happened afterwards. Knowing the truth now however, gave you a clear view on it, and just how serious their situation was. 

"This is a lot," you exhale, "you guys are beyond lucky." Splinter hums.

"Indeed. Now you must understand why our existence must be kept secret. If Sax or any of his friends find us, we may not be alive much longer after they do."

"Believe me," you begin, "you don't have to worry about anything from me. I appreciate you telling me all of this."

Splinter was hard to read whenever he smiled, but the glint in his eyes and the appreciative hum from him signaled to you he was in fact smiling at you. 

"Please," he begins, "feel free to stay as long as you'd like. We have food, drinks, games. It's all open to you now." He watches you nod your head and smile as a thank you.

With a nod and a wave, Splinter turns away.

After returning to his routine, you followed Donatello out into his 'living room' before he turned to you, followed by his brothers.

"So, will you come visit us? Now that you've been here?" he asked, an innocent smile on his face. He beams when he watches your return your own smile, as well as a small laugh.  

"If you guys don't mind it.  I'd definitely like to come back and see you all."

His chest fluttered then, happiness coursing through him like adrenaline. 

He has a friend now, besides April of course. One he knew that would get a long with him faster than anybody else would. He could feel it.

"Let me take you home."