His Nightmare (Donatello)

Guess what? I'M NOT DEAD.

This is based off the clip above T^T.  My favorite FF game <3

Unedited

~~~~~~~~~

A dim hallway was all Donnie could see.  Ragged breaths and rapid footsteps against a metal floor echoed through the air around him, the feeling of panic and fear coursing through him.  He was clueless as to where he was and how he got there, but his mind was telling him to run, for whatever reason.  

It looks him a moment to realize that he wasn't alone, that there was applied pressure onto his hand; someone had a hold of Donnie.  He quickly looked over his shoulder to see you, just as frantic and out of breath as he was.  In a way it relaxed Donnie to have you with him, but it also horrified him.  Now you were in danger.

With his legs still carrying him forward, and his hand tightly enclosed with yours Donnie continued down the long and eerie metal hallway, still not knowing what was making chase.  He was scared, distraught and had no reason why.

The hallway seemed to stretch onwards and felt as if it slowed Donnie down even more.

And it was then footsteps behind you began to emerge, getting louder as they got closer.  Donnie began to panic.

Urgent to lose the pursuer, Donnie made a sudden and sharp turn that led into yet another hallway.

Thankfully, Don caught you from tripping.  His sudden transition in direction caught you off guard and made you stumble, but his arm shifted your weight upwards and onto your foot.  He once again took hold of your hand and now the both of you were on the run once more.

With breaths even more shallow now and chest heavier, Donnie's hearing suddenly became dim, hearing nothing but his breathing and the ambience of ringing silence.

A light was evolving in front of Donnie, bright and nearly blinding.  He felt his mind and body towards it, as if it was telling Don this was his way out, his only way out.

Fog, clanking machines and shaky breaths filled the room the two of you were now in.  It was such an odd transition for Donnie; to be running like a bat out of hell one moment to just standing there and looking around.  You on the other hand looked like you had seen a ghost: your skin whiter than the clouds, body visibly shaking and colder than the deepest depths.  Donnie's mind was drowning with questions and scenarios of everything that could go wrong here; there was no visible exit to the naked eye.

Words came to the tip of Donnie's tongue, but yet his body held them back as if he had no voice at all.  Why couldn't he speak?  Why couldn't you speak?  You hadn't said a word this entire time either.

Donnie continued to scan the area as his breath grew more shallow; he was on the verge of a total breakdown.

But his gaze turned to you once more, your eyes brimming with tears as you let out a subtle whimper of fear.  He immediately went to your side and embraced you tightly, hands on the small of your back and burying his face into your hair.  Don kissed your forehead and lifted your hands to his lips.  He may not have been able to speak to you but his actions spoke for him.  He intended to keep you safe.

Suddenly, a large boom echoed throughout the room as it was soon illuminated with lights.  Another whimper left your mouth; Donnie pulled you closer to him.  Familiar footsteps sounded again, slow and heavy, like the ones that had been chasing you moments before.

A figure came from the shadows, large and broad.  It was intimidating, making you bury your face into Donnie's plastron to hide yourself, although it did little good.  Don himself stood his ground.  He was putting his life on the line for you.

Hazel eyes on his enemy, Donnie watched as the shadow stood completely still on the other side of the platform.  Nothing was said, except for the deafening silence of machinery and buzzing lights.  It was a battle to see who would make the first move, and it was killing Don.  He clenched his teeth and swallowed the lump in his throat.

Anticipating an attack, it caught Donnie off guard when he felt your hand rest on his chest.  You weren't shaking anymore, and when he turned to look down at you your (e/c) eyes were filled with tears, as one rolled down your cheek.  It puzzled Don; you were smiling.

It dawned on him then the two of you weren't going to make this out alive.  Fate wouldn't allow it.

Watching as you raised your hand to his cheek, Donnie felt a wet sensation run down his own face.  A tear fell onto your skin.

You didn't say anything, and neither did he.  Donatello read you loud and clear.

And the moment came, and in a second the two of you were stuck hard in the chest, deep enough that it shattered through Donnie's plastron and pierced into his skin.  The impact sent both of you apart and back onto the cold metal floor.  You had landed on your stomach, with Don on his side to where he was facing you.  He was barely alive; this view of you was the last thing he wanted to see before his life faded.  Donnie was finding it hard to stay awake now.

He watched you as you lay there beside him, still and unresponsive.  He could no longer see your beautiful eyes.

A red pool began to fill and grow beneath you; the tears in Donnie's eyes immediately began to pour down his face.  His hand could barely move as he tried to reach out to you one last time, to feel you once more.

Fog began to cloud Don's view, hiding your body inch by inch and fading away.  You had eventually disappeared, and Donnie was taken away by the light.

~~~~~~~~~

The second you vanished Don's eyes flew open and he quickly lifted his head off his desk.  He woke up shaking and disconnected from the current surroundings.  It took him a few moments before his mind returned to reality.  Hazel eyes scanned the area, as if something followed him out of his dream.

"Here's your coffee Donnie," a familiar voice says, "figured you'd want some.  You've been in here all day."

The moment he heard you he sat up and readjusted his glasses, along with wiping the tear that rested in the corner of his eye.  Don listened as your footsteps came to a stop beside him; he turned to see you standing there with two cups of coffee in your hands.  He smiled warmly.

"Thanks, sweetheart," he says softly, and takes a glass.  While taking a sip however, you noticed the redness of his eyes.  Either it was exhaustion or something else, it worried you still.

Tilting your head, you reached your hand out to the side of his face to make him look at you.

"What's wrong?"

"Hmm?"

"Your eyes."

Donnie let out a soft chuckle and glanced down at his cup.  You were always good at picking up bad vibes from him.  Yet he tried to push the topic away.

"I fell asleep.  Just woke up and feeling a little sluggish.  That's all."

Sighing heavily, you bite your lip.  Donnie's small smile quickly turns into a frown upon seeing your face: brows furrowed and lanky posture.  He knew you weren't buying his story, you knew him too well.  The technician watched you as you came closer to him, then feeling your lips on his forehead.  A few seconds later you pull away.

"What's wrong?" you ask softly.  Donnie sighed sharply and took off his glasses to rub his eyes with his hand.

He goes put on his glasses.  "Bad dream.  I'll be fine though."

"Want to tell me?"

Donnie feels you take his hand in yours.  With your words making him smile, he squeezes your hand in return.

"I'm okay, really.  It's nothing to worry about."

You watch as Donnie lifts his hand to your cheek to rest it there.  He gently pulls you down to him so that his lips meet your own, then your cheek, and lastly your forehead.

"I love you."