His Nightmare (Michelangelo)

He could hear, he could feel, he could smell, but he could not see. Mikey's hands reach out in front of him in hopes that his hands touch something. He knew he was alone, and it terrified him.

The piercing silence in the air could have been cut like paper; it was the kind of deafening silence no one wanted. Words of desperation sit on the end of his tongue yet he can't quite let them out. Something was holding Mikey back from calling for help. He wanted someone, anyone, to be there with him.

He wanted you.

You. Where were you? Were you somewhere in this darkness too?

Mikey presses onwards, hands still stretched outwards. With his heart already almost pumping out of his chest, he feels the anxiety traveling up his legs and into his spine and up to his neck. It's starts to mess with his head.

Echoes break the air, shattering the silence like glass. Mikey gasps in fear and looks around rapidly but with no prevail as his view is still met with complete darkness. At first he can't tell what they're saying, or how many there are, but they are no less terrifying. Mikey's pace begins to quicken.

The more he travels however, the louder they become, resulting in the man getting more and more frightened, the panic and anxiety intensifying. Breath rapid and hitching in his throat, stomach knotting, nausea, sweat dripping off his forehead; Mikey was no longer sane. He was losing his god damn mind.

Mikey.

It makes him stop dead in his tracks and his breath hitches in his throat, and he remains as silent and still as he can.  

Mikey.

His eyes squint, brain working itself to try and register who the hell was talking to him. It was thrashing inside his head, he knows who that is.

Look at me Mikey.

"I can't." He still had no words emerge, instead he simply mouthed them. Would the spirit see? Was it even a spirit?

Why?

"It's dark," he mouths again. The echoes stop, and Mikey is at a standstill again. He licks his lips nervously. 

"Why can't I see you?"

Silence still. That same ear splitting silence that makes his heart pound viciously once again. 

I'm here.

Mikey huffs. "I can't see you," he mouths, "it's dark."

I'm right here.

At this point he's beginning to become irritated; the twitch of his nose and fisted hands says so.

"It's too dark."

Silent once again.

Taking a step forward Mikey begins walking again. But he stops when a very dim light begins to glow behind him, then watching as his own shadow grows taller beneath him as the light grows. He slowly turns, breath hitching in his throat as he now stares at the figure before him.  Someone unfamiliar, most likely the one who was messing with him. At least he hoped, maybe he could get them to talk.

Mikey's hands reach for his weapons, and to his shock . . . and fear, they are not strapped to his belt. 

He's wary, and is ready to take stance should the moment come he needed to protect himself.

Can you see me now?

Mikey slowly nods his head, but takes a step back while the shadow takes one forward.