Chapter 88

3rd POV

        One would think Bruce had enough conversation for a day, but his fiancée didn't have the last word yet. She wouldn't jump straight to the balcony like Bruce, so she took the long way there, the stairs, all while Strife was lazying around in the sheets.

(That and the fact that Bruce is such a pain, that it requires multiple chapters to get his character across. Love it and Hate it. Why so many layers to this guy?)

       He didn't think further discussion on the topic was required, but more often than not, He and Sona act after different sets of principles. She was visibly angry, and even more so on the way she shut the door closed.

Sona:"Bruce, are you out of your mind or something?"

Bruce:"Easy there, Sona. What got you fired up?" 

      He was feinting ignorance, something usual for him, but to say Sona's attitude did not bother him would be an understatement. It's all a matter of being on the same page...which is a pain to realize.

Sona:"Why did you accept the challenge? You realize he was serious, right?"

Bruce:"I was serious too, Sona. He had the balls to come front and center. I'll answer the call."

Sona:"It'll be one sided and you know it!"

    Her worry was directed towards her pawn. After all, there was a big gap between the 2 contestants, and no bridge to be seen so far. However, she seems to have mistaken her beloved's intent.

Bruce:"Sona... I think you're missing something here. I am not angry that he dare or whatever. I am not Riser or some other high devil prick." 

Sona:"Then why?"

     Truth be told, it pained him to have to explain all this, but if it'll keep Sona relieved, it's a small price to pay. He motioned her to sit down, cause it'll be a fairly long story.

Bruce:"Tell me, what do you think the biggest insult to a challenger is?"

Sona:"... How is this rela-"

Bruce:"Please, just answer."

      If there's one thing Bruce doesn't appreciate at Sona is that she can't seem to differentiate between people, meaning she tries too hard to apply her methods of doing things to people who are not compatible with them. In other words, you don't teach a thug the law by handing out fliers. 

Sona:"I guess, not accepting their challenge?"

Bruce:"Close...it's accepting it head on...and then holding back."

Sona:"Hmm, I guess I can understand the frustration."

Bruce:"Right? Saji had the guts to provoke me, keeping in mind the difference in pretty much everything. I don't know about you, but the least I can do is honor that courage."

Sona:"So...you're saying you'll go all out... Is this because of me?"

     Sona herself wasn't blind and knew of the rivalry brewing between Bruce and Saji, even if it was mostly one sided. That bothered her.

Bruce:"Heh. What do you think I would have done if he said, let's say ... 'The winner gets to keep Sona' ?"

Sona:"You imply you'd act differently?"

...

Bruce:"Frankly speaking, I would have shot him on the spot. You are NOT a prize. You're a person... and a lucky one, cause you pawn knows how to respect you. Hence, he didn't mention you at all. You get what I am saying?"