Chapter 86

3rd POV

     As Jason Creed enjoyed his pillow outside, in the gardens. The youngest of the brothers decided that his room would make up for a comfortable resting place. Then again, he wasn't that exhausted as to let himself fall prey to sleep.

     Instead, Desmond took to sketching, ripping papers and sketching again as a way to pass the time till dinner. Not exactly a talented artist, but one had definetly seen worse.

Desmond:"Tch. Maybe I shouldn't have given up on art class back in middle school. Would have saved me some trouble."

   It went on for just 10 minutes, and yet a whole notepad wasn't enough. Guess the boy didn't have a knack for drawing after all.

   Maybe the knocking on his door would take his mind off the troubling matter. Well, only if he got to actually open it. The guest let herself in.

Irina:"Hey!"

   She seemed cheerful as ever, save for the unusual fidgeting with her hands.

Desmond:"I almost lashed out, thinking it was Bruce letting himself in again."

Irina:"I'm surprised you got so used to these things. Makes me wonder just how often it happened."

Desmond:"Oh, trust me. A LOT. Anyway, what's the matt-"

Irina:"What in God's name were you doing with all this paper?", she cut him off midway.

Picking up some of the ripped papers, Irina made out some of the things drawn or at least what Desmond attempted to draw.

Irina:"Is this... supposed to be a hammer?"

Desmond:"...that 'supposed' really hurts, you know?"

Irina:"Hehe. Sorry. But what's this about? You use a whip, not a hammer."

Desmond:"Well... it's related to the new powers I got my hands on."

Irina:"...you mean the ones you used in your fake rampage earlier today?", She gave off an air of annoyance, something rare for her.

Desmond:"Ah, yes. Sorry...you know... about acting crazy and all."

Irina:"Why did you even try?"

Desmond:"Jason's idea. Said he wanted to 'help' Rias."

Irina:"And helped he did, I can see that. You always go along with your brothers, don't you?"

     Those few words rendered Desmond speechless. His face adopted a sad smile.

Desmond:"Yeah. That's...me. Always a follower...fuck..."

Irina:"I-i didn't mean it in a bad wa-"

Desmond:"Relax, Irina. I know what you meant. It's just...well, how do I put it? Doesn't it look to you like I'm always in the back regardless of what happens?"

Irina:"The back? As in fighting off in the distanc-"

Desmond:"No. No. Not that. Take me and Jason, ok?"

Irina:"Alright."

Desmond:"Doesn't it seems like we're always going along with what Bruce or Leon are deciding?"

Irina:"...I am not that familiar with your family dynamic. I've only spoke briefly with the rest, so I'm not sure if you're referring to the fact that they don't let you take charge or... something else..."

Desmond:"Sigh... it's the fact that they can just throw themselves into fire when the situation calls for it."

Irina:"I wouldn't say that's a good thing."