Chapter 113

3rd POV

      They say that once you get a taste of something otherwordly, living without it becomes a chore, a burden. Effects may vary from one person to another, from one phenomenon to another, but going from max adrenaline to a total null is sure to takes its toll on anyone, right? Well, if you were to ask this question to our eldest, you're more likely to receive an annoyed look than a wholehearted conversation. At least, that's the response his parents received at their question right after embarking on the train towards the human world.

"For the last time, Mom. No. I'm fine going there on my own. I don't need Bruce or the others to come as well.", Leon Creed, slightly calmed by his sister next to him, argued once more with his parent. It may be called a family reunion, but he doubts any of his siblings consider the entirety of the extended family tree as *their* family. And then, of course, there's the matter of-

"You showing up alone will be taken as claiming right of inheritance, and I know that's the last thing you care about, son."

"You're right dad, but those 3 care even less. Besides, Bruce and Desmond have class trip soon to Kyoto and Jason made his choice himself. I know you want to show the rest that we're finally patching things up, but...", his voice lingered, looking for a way to avoid hurting them with his words.

"No, you're right. I should more clearly since the whole horsemen business isn't over yet.", Scarlett rubbed her elbow awkwardly. She was their mother, something she was proud of, but the past few months turned her whole world upside down, especially the most recent events.

"And it'll probably never be, mom. This isn't a condition. They're not sick of anything, therefore there isn't a cure to speak of. It just happened that we were there when the choice was made."

His gaze turned towards the window, taking in the realm of the devils, of the supernatural. A world he was part of just a few days ago and now...it seemed foreign, as if he was an outsider. The solitude in his thoughts did him less good than you'd imagine, leaving him to contemplate whatever remarks his departed partner would have made.

And that's not even getting into the looks of pity he's been getting from several people since his rather unfortunate circumstances have been made public, despite him being adamant of NOT desiring any of it. Among those looks, the one who stung the most was probably the Valkyrie's, as she's been coming to terms the person uplifting her self-respect was dealing with something infinitely worse on the sidelines. But this wasn't the time to be mopping around. 

"That aside. I can already hear the complaints Lara is going to throw my way. Like where's the secretary I hired on a whim or how can I suddenly vanish and leave her all the work. It's going to be a field day.", he smirked slightly, anticipating the scorn in the woman's eyes. Wouldn't be the first time.

"You'll argue again, won't you?", the little snow ball in the red dress perked her head up. She much rather see her big brother happy than annoyed. Especially if conflicts were to arise due to her own being. 

"I always argue, Anna.", he pulled her tiny hat over her eyes. "The difference is that this time no ambulance will get  involve...hopefully.", he muttered the last part, but didn't manage to avoid the furrowed brows of his mother. 

"You didn't use to be such a handful in the past."

'I also didn't use to want to live anymore, mom.', were the words he would never dare utter to her face, not after all he's put her through. 

"It'll be fine, Scarlett. At the very least, if he's not the most cooperative person, our son is certainly competent.", Alex took his wife's hand into his to assure her. "Don't let their words throw you off, Leon. And know that I do not care if you inherit the company or not. I'm just-"