Chapter 13: Nothing Stays Forever

Cheerfully and loudly laughing, once more, there the little toddler began running in circles, probably to trigger enough wind to make the pinwheel in that tiny hand immensely spin. Running behind him was the older brunette himself, seemingly chasing the child presumably in a game of tag.

"I'm gonna get you!" The boy chuckled as he happily chased the little squirt.

"Ahhh! Monster! Don't eat me!" The child playfully screamed as those little legs continued to run.

That's when it happened, one of a parent's worst fears when it comes to their child. It so happens that the toddler's foot had accidentally tripped on the rock and fell forwards down into the dirt. Witnessing this, of course Indra would panic, not only because he was tasked by the child's mother to watch over the youngster, but out of fear on the child's well-being.

He must've probably got those kind of instincts whilst he was taking care of his kid brother.

"Oh no!" He exclaimed in a dreaded tone as he immediately approached the kid and knelt down to pick the child back up in two feet. "Are you alright? Are you hurt?" He added as he immediately began using his hand to dust off the dirt that lingered on the toddler's clothes.

The child however, completely oblivious to how horrified Indra was, only replied to him with a hum and a nod.

"A few minutes I leave you with the little squirt, this is what I find!"

Jolting a bit and turning towards the source of the familiar voice behind him, Indra was soon met with the child's mother. However, this time, she was holding on to the two handles of a large cart that sat behind her, his two baskets of groceries he assumes are inside.

"Mama!" The toddler exclaimed and immediately ran to latch on to the woman's right leg.

"It's my fault, I'm terribly sorry if the kid's a mess right now" Indra apologized as he stood up and used both hands to brush of the dust on his pants. "You see, we were just playing and-"

The brunette was cut off from his words when he felt something latch on to his right leg. Dropping his head to see, as he has expected, there he found the grinning toddler tightly holding on to his limb. Once again, the boy couldn't help but smile and pet the child's dark hair.

"Congratulations, the little squirt likes you!" He heard the woman say, making him turn to look at her. "When that kid likes someone, that little bugger hugs your legs and never lets go!"

Hearing this, his once raised shoulders now lowered as relief began to overtake his anxiety, the same kind of smile and expression was clear on his face. A few seconds later, the toddler finally let go of Indra's leg and ran off towards the mother. The small child then immediately climbed up the same cart the woman was holding on to.

"Well, what are you waiting for, Young Master? Hop on!"

This confused said boy at first, but he slowly began to realize what the woman had meant by that.

"Huh? You mean, up on the cart?"

"Yeah, where else, my back?"

"I don't know, Miss. I mean, are you sure about that? After all, the wagon looks very heavy. In addition, you'll be carrying the two groceries, your kid, me and-"

He was suddenly cut off from his words when he felt something land on his head. Lifting it up a bit, he was soon met with the woman's beautiful soft smile, he as well realized that she had a hand atop his head.

Dropping to a crouch to be in equal level with him, she then said in such a soothing tone "For a boy as young as you, don't you think you've been far too kind to us already? Just let us return the favor, will ya!"