Chapter 8: No One Should Ever Stand Alone

Placing a few stalks of scallions atop a flat chopping board, the young man used a small butcher knife to mince the small basals into tiny rings

Placing a few stalks of scallions atop a flat chopping board, the young man used a small butcher knife to mince the small basals into tiny rings. He was thankfully right-handed, so that meant he didn't have any troubles in doing so. At his far left, before a large boiling pot that sat on top of a cement stove, with just the use of a long ladle, there stood the young brunette as he ever so slowly stirred the bubbling liquid from with the metal container. Now every single one of the desired number of the scallions are finally finished being sliced, the older man then took the board, lifted it up a bit, draw it's edge near the pot's opening and sloped the entire thing.

This then caused the tiny green rings to fall off the wooden board and into the mouth of the steaming pot. Now that the minced scallions could be seen floating above the soup's surface, Indra immediately stirred the whole thing until it was mixed among with the soup. In the entirety of the time, both the child and the adult were actually stuck in between an awkward silence as they worked together to make the desired soup a certain ill boy had been asking for.

That's until the very thought of the young man's hesitation displayed earlier when he noticed his hand refusing to touch his brother had appeared in his mind.

Indra then made the choice to break the silence by saying "Hey, Futami!"

Just by hearing his Young Master's voice abruptly made him stop from his actions, which was washing the wakame clean and whip his head to the boy's direction.

Judging by the look on the man's face, he seems to be a bit uncertain on what to say to the boy, it likely came as a surprise for him as well.

"Uhhh...sure, I guess?" He said it more like a question than a reply, still unsure on what exactly was going on.

"Are...are you...are you afraid of me?"

Once more, this had shocked the man once again.

"Why, of course not, Master Indra" Futami replied in a reassuring tone, not without a nervous smile and multiple beads of sweat at the side of his head.

Indra did not like that answer at all, hearing those words and that tone was all too familiar to him. With his hand gripping tightly on the ladle's handle, he even had to clench his teeth to keep himself from breaking apart, just from a few fake words.

"Is what I should've said actually" the man's addition of words then made the brunette suddenly stop from his stirring, and whip his head towards the man with wide eyes, watching him looking away from him as he continue to clean the tofu with water. "To tell you the truth, in a way, you could say that I am indeed afraid of you. But not the kind of fear that you had to live in just by being aware of your presence, but the kind that you can't help but have deep respect for. I mean, you're just a kid, and I see a whole lot of potential in you. Unlike what I was back then. To put it in terms, I fear and respect you the same as how I fear and respect your father."