Chapter 36: It's just the way you say my name that throws me...

HELLLOOO!! HERE IS THE NEXT CHAPTER!! YOU GUYS WAITED SO PATIENTLY, SO I HOPE IT WAS WORTH IT! LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK, MY BABIES!!!

CHARLOTTE POV

A low voice floats through my mind, pulling me out of my deep slumber. My eyes flutter open out of the dreamless reverie to find the room still completely dark. I stretch out my arm to rest over Zayn’s body but am greeted with warm bed sheet. My eyes open wider and I look around myself to find him seated at the edge of his side of the bed, his back to me. From the dim light of my stars on the ceiling I can make out just faintly the silver fern on the nape of his neck. He continues to talk in a hushed tone and I realize that’s what woke me up. I scoot closer to him, the side of my face nuzzling into his pillow which smelled so much like him from just sleeping on it for two nights.

“Sweetie, just go to sleep. You’ll be fine I promise.”

At first I think he’s talking to me, but when he continues his hushed speaking, I realize he is on the phone. I turn to look at the clock on the night table so see the gleaming numbers 3:12. Who could he be talking to this late?

“Zayn?” I whisper and he turns around immediately, a worried looks crossing his features.

He leans the phone away from his mouth as his hand goes straight to my face, cupping the side. “You alright, babe?”

I nod sleepily resting my face into his hand, almost about to fall back asleep just like that because of his warm touch.

“Go back to sleep, baby.” His voice is so soft, warm breath hitting my face.

I peek up from under my eyelashes, “Is everything alright?”

He smiles softly and nods, “Yeah, just Safaa”

“Is she okay?” I can’t help but feel worried. What would little seven year old Safaa be doing up right now?

“Yeah, baby she’s fine.” He whispers, cupping my cheek.

 I smile softly back at him and grab his hand in both of mine, pressing a kiss to his palm.

“Yeah, I’m still here, Saf” He says into the phone, but keeps my eye contact. “mhm”

I can’t help but stare at him as he listens to his sister. His eyebrows furrow so slightly as he gazes into the space right above my head on the bed. He sucks his bottom lip between his teeth and nods along to whatever she’s saying.

“Yes, I promise, Safs”

I sit up gently and he shifts to give me more room. Scooting forward, I sit beside him, keeping a leg straight out behind him on the bed and letting one dangle off. He grabs the back of my thigh though and pulls it up so it’s across his lap, my foot resting on the bed on the other side of him. His hand rubs up and down my leg, as I lean forward and rest my head against his shoulder. My arms wrap around his, my hand on his tricep.

The smell of his cologne is still strong and I inhale in content, snuggling deeper into his side.

“I know, babe. I’ll be there as soon as I can.” He carries on his conversation, his hand slowly rubbing up into my shorts and back down.  

 “Hang on, foofs.” He holds the phone away, leaning down to me. “Sleep, baby.”

I shake my head kiss his shoulder. He leans forward and kisses my temple before going back to the phone. I rest my cheek on his shoulder again

 “I know, sweetie” He sighs.

I listen to him continue reassuring his sister as I trace over the hand tattoo on his arm. The way he softly and patiently talked to her made my heart swell with even more love for him. He was so good with words, saying all the right things to put her at ease. It didn’t take much to realize those girls missed their brother as much as I missed Harry when he was away.