Chapter 59: I am finished with you.

HEELLLOO! IM HERE TO PUT YOU GUYS OUT OF YOUR MISERY BECAUSE YOUR COMMENTS AND TWEETS AND MESSAGES WERE AMAAAAAZING!!! I WAS SO SO HAPPY WITH ALL OF THEM, YOU GUYS. YOU'RE AMAZING! I LOVE WHEN YOU GUYS PREDICT! AND LOOK HOW QUICK I UPDATED! JUST SHOWS HOW MUCH YOURR RESPONSES CAN INSPIRE ME!! SO HERE GOES! ENJOY!!

Glass shatters and pierces through my already restless sleep. I’m not sure if I’d dreamt it or if it really is what woke me up. Sitting up and feeling my back crack in multiple places, protesting at my position against the window, I rub my eyes taking in the surroundings. For a split second I thought maybe Zayn’s come home and has broken another jar or plate in the kitchen, but I realize I’m not even home. I’m at Harry’s. I’d been waking up like this for the past two days. God, what time is it, anyway? Pushing my legs off the window sill, I reach for my mobile on the couch but freeze when I hear something. It’s like a padding of footsteps and a crunching of glass. I hadn’t dreamt it.

More glass shatters followed by the sound of other things getting knocked down resonates through the empty halls of the house. Oh God. No please. Please please. Not again. I can’t be in this again. I can’t be brought back there. Wake up, Charlotte. This has to be a nightmare. It can’t happen twice. It just can’t. My fingers are shaking so hard, I nearly drop my mobile twice as I straighten it and press any button I can to wake it. Nothing is working and I’m met with the terrible red lighting signal that alerts a dead battery. Oh my God. No no no. This can’t be happening.

A low sob escapes my throat and I quiet it immediately, heaving into my hand.

The beam of a flashlight entering the den brings my heart to a near standstill and my bones feel like they’ve been rattled. Tears freeze and eyes widen as my breathing’s become ragged and I press my hand harder to my mouth to stifle the sounds. My brain is a clutter of signals and failed ideas of how to get out. But I have to get out. At least then I can run to a neighbor’s house no matter how far it is and who they are. Please God, just help me get out of here.

The light from the corridor shifts out of the room and I let out the breath I’m holding and look around myself. There’s no way to leave without risking being seen. Whoever it is is right in the center corridor that leads to all doors and rooms. The only option is the small pantry at the corner but I can’t possibly bring myself to hide and wait. If they find me, I’m done. There’d be no way out. A harsh shiver runs through me, rocking my body.

Rushing to the wall I sidle up against it, remaining in the shadows. My ears are hyper sensitive as I do my best to hold my breath again. I nearly throw up from relief when I hear the footsteps climbing stairs. The coast will be clear. I wait until I hear them fade up and I’m immediately in overdrive.

My feet are slipping against the slick wood floors and I catch myself on the walls. I’m struggling with the directions, forgetting the paths through the new house even though I had them down just earlier today. As I round the corner that leads to the second living room, avoiding the glass coating the floor, I knock into one of the paintings and it slams into the floor. The sound resonates and I only quicken my pace, seeing the curtains that hide the glass patio doors just a few meters ahead. I’m already formulating a plan for once I’m out, my mind trying to draw out a map of the street and where I can seek help.

“The fuck?!”

The shout behind me makes my blood turn cold and I feel a creeping feeling of ice take over the back of my neck. The voice is familiar. And I know exactly from where. And my heart only drops more. I instantly turn around, knowing my fate if I even move a muscle forward. I can’t help the loud sob that comes out the minute my eyes meet his. His face isn’t covered this time, but I know those eyes. They’ve been haunting me in my dreams for a year. The same dark scar cuts through his left eyebrow and into the eyelid and I can feel the constricting of my stomach and the bile rising. Oh God. It’s him. It’s him.