Chapter 19: Come Away With Me in the Night

As promised, 35 votes, new chapter! Thank you all sooo soo sooo much for voting!! and your comments were amazing! Thank you!! Such an inspiration! THIS TIME I'M GOING TO NEED 50 VOTES TO PUT UP THE NEXT CHAPTER! I KNOW YOU ALL CAN DO IT! PLEASE IT WILL MEAN SOOO SOO MUCH!!

CHARLOTTE POV

About an hour later I had had enough of the pool and Matt’s negligence so I headed up stairs for a shower. The guys were playing a legitimate game of chicken and Ella was acting as the referee so I knew I wouldn’t be missed too much. She offered to come with, but I told her I was fine. Because I was. Honestly, though I would nearly drown out of everyone that was here today. And how? Because I lost my damn noodle. So ridiculous.

When I got upstairs I headed immediately into my bathroom for a shower and instead of actually doing any washing I just stood under the shower head. My mind was in such a tangle. Matt. Zayn. Harry. Physical Therapy. Nearly drowning. Zayn saving me. Zayn saving me. Zayn saving me even though he can’t swim. And Matt oblivious to it while I screamed for him. Zayn saving me. And me not wanting to let him go because at that moment… in my eyes, Zayn was everything more than Matt. And that scared me. And that is why I cried.

Before Matt used to be everything to me. And after the incident he became just something that caused me pain. Something that I needed around, or at least I believed I needed around. But now after today.. after he just blatantly proved himself useless and got mad over nothing and ignored me after I didn’t in fact die, how much did I really need him?

Why was my heart swelling just at the thought of Zayn? This isn’t okay. It’s not right. Matt’s my boyfriend. And Zayn’s my brother’s best friend. And maybe these… feelings.. are just because he saved me; more than once. Maybe it was just my vulnerability that made me turn to him so much?

It continued like this, silent arguments in my mind that only complicated things even more. When the water got cold I shut it off, cursing to myself when I realized I hadn’t even properly shampooed. With my black fluffy towel around me, I cleared the fog off the mirror and stared at my reflection.

The girl staring back at me wasn’t the same Charlotte Styles. She was emotionless, hopeless, and just pathetic. I wondered where the real me was. The one who was constantly smiling and not worrying about everything. The one who didn’t need people and only allowed people to need her. I guess she was forced out when that bullet went through her.

Sighing, I turned the blow dryer on to block out the sound of my thoughts. Once I was done I walked out and slipped into a gray off the shoulder oversized t-shirt and shorts. Taking a seat in the middle of my bed I pulled my legs into my chest and exhaled loudly, the thoughts of Zayn and Matt still spinning through my mind. I grabbed my stereo remote off the night table and turned it on, the sound of Norah Jones’ sultry voice wafted through my room as I closed my eyes and got lost in the lyrics.

Come away with me in the night. Come away with me and I will write you a song….

If only it was that easy, eh? Just come away with me. My thoughts were broken when there was a soft knock on my bedroom door followed by Zayn’s  unmistakable honey eyes peering around to me. I immediately found myself sitting straighter and my heart rate hitched a bit. And when he smiled that crooked perfect smile I nearly stopped breathing.

“Thought you’d be sleeping so I didn’t want to keep knocking” He said, still standing at the door.

He had walked a bit inside so I could see that he had changed into a pair of pajama bottoms and a white tank top. His hair was flat still and hung slightly into his eyes but all I could focus on was that smile of his. I smiled back and waved him over to the bed, scooting over so there was room for him to sit beside me.