Chances lost

I can explain.

I went to a fanfic generator, and this is the prompt I got. I was endowed to write it.

WARNING: GRAPHIC DESCRIPTIONS OF A VERY PAINFUL EVENT THAT I WILL NOT TELL YOU OF RIGHT HERE AS TO NOT GIVE AWAY THE PLOT. I WILL TELL YOU THIS; IF YOU CAN'T DEAL WITH HEALTH CLASS, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T READ THIS.

-Nightsisterkaris

--------- -:x:- ---------

      As a super spy, Daisy was used to secrets. She was used to the red tape, the redacted files, the untold stories.

     Now she was mostly responsible for going through all the rescued files that had been saved from the rubble of old bases and secret hideouts and safehouses. Many a time she's brought some thumb drive to Coulson for him to enter the director's code to unlock it for analyzing.

     But she's recently come across the file boxes. They're like hightech safes, but with bulletproof metal and unbreakable locks. Coulson has been using his fingerprint to open those as well.

     The two have been in the storage room for hours, trying to go through everything.

     "Hey, AC!" Daisy grins, "I can't believe you had a mustache!" She hands him a file, and sure enough, there stands a proud 1980s version of him with an unflattering mustache in the picture tucked in a mission report.

     "Not my greatest look." Phil agrees, slowly sifting through thousands of mission reports from 1989.

     "Oh my gosh, is this May!?!" Daisy's indignant shriek is followed by her scampering over with another mission report. Indeed, Melinda May, the greatest specialist, is rocking her bangs and short hair. "One of her better looks." Phil shrugs.

     Daisy's eyes widen, "better-?"

     Phil nods.

     When they break for lunch, Phil sees Daisy steak the two pictures from the mission reports, but he doesn't argue. The girl would probably show the images to Fitzsimmons, but what did he have to lose?

     Sure enough, he did spot Jemma and Daisy giggling on the way back to the storage room.

     He finds his place again, pulling forward the next safe and opening it. There inside he sees the dates... September through November, 1993.

     Phil freezes. He knows what happened then, the event that tore him in two.

     Daisy unexpectedly saunters in, kneeling on the other side of the box, casually reaching in and dumping the files into her lap. She didn't know.

     Phil slowly works, more weight on his shoulders now.

    "Hey, uh... Coulson?" Daisy says softly. He knew it was coming. Phil knew she would find it.

    "Yes?" He waits for her, watching Daisy slowly read the file.

     "What happened?" She points to the pictures of the agents who returned, the survivors of that one particular mission. Agents with crazed, tired eyes and blood on their faces.

     "Siberia, November, 1993, right?" He asks slowly.

     "It says that Agent May had two months of trauma relief..." Daisy read.

     "She wasn't the only one. Agent Gaffman went insane with PTSD." Phil responded.

     "But... May? Why May?" Daisy asked, confused, "it doesn't seem like her." Daisy paused, "How many agents died?"