I'll Fall In Love With You Every New Day - Part 1.5

When Melinda opened her eyes, she realized that she was way too hot. There was a warm weight over her waist, and soft breathing on her forehead. Pushing herself up, Melinda backed up from the unfamiliar form. "Who are you?"

   "Hi, I'm Phil Coulson. . . your husband." The man immediately said, opening his eyes. "It's okay. I won't hurt you."

   "Why do I not know you?!?!" Melinda sucked in a breath, checking her hand for a ring.

   "You have memory loss." He answered sinceriously, letting her go, and allowing her to pull back, careful not to spook the woman before him. This Phil Coulson waited until she was out of bed, unsurprisingly relieved to be fully dressed, and going straight to the open bathroom door. Melinda was pleased to see her toothbrush marked with her name, and towels set out for her as well so that she could take a shower.

   Undressing and stepping under the hot spray, Melinda let the water wash away the sleep from her eyes. She could hear Phil in the bedroom, puttering around, and when he poked his head into the bathroom to grab something, Melinda leaned out to stare at him expectedly. Phil was straining to keep his eyes up and to her eyes. Melinda waited.

   "Can I help you?" Phil asked sheepishly.

   "Are you joining me?"

   The little squeak he made was confusing.

   "We are married, are we not?" Melinda scrunched her eyebrows.

   "I, uh, we, umm, usually don't-" Phil stuttered.

   "Why?"

   "Do you want too?" He gulped.

   Melinda shrugged. "I'm not done." she didn't want to admit she didn't really know what she was doing.

   "Okay. . ." he nodded, slowly stepping into the bathroom.

   Melinda saw the scar. As soon as he was next to her, she came closer. Running her fingers over the pale raised lines, she hugged him, and her hand had discovered another on his back. It ran right through him. "What happened?" She breathed.

   "It's an old wound." He said, his face going red, looking her in the eyes, not venturing to drop his gaze.

   "But what happened?" Melinda pushed.

   "I got stabbed at work in an accident." He told her.

   "What was your job?!?!" Melinda gasped, inhaling steam and warming her lungs with the moisture.

    "I was saving the world, of course!" He grinned. Melinda took his hand, studying his blue eyes.

    "Yeah right." Melinda smirked.

    "What, you don't think I could?" He laughed.

    "Maybe." Melinda grabbed the shampoo, following his directions when she realized that she didn't know how to take a shower, lathering her hair then passing the bottle to him. "Why aren't you at work now?"

    "I dropped out to take care of you. My employees were quite mad." He mused.

    "You were boss?"

    "I was in charge of the whole organization."

    "And how did this organization end up with you accidentally getting stabbed while saving the world?" she smiled, a hand coming to cover the scar.

    "I was an undercover spy." Phil shrugged.

    "Uh-huh." Melinda hummed. "Now my husband is a spy." She sang.