I Need You Tonight

Because we can never get enough of that 'one-bed-only' trope. Thats why.

   (The fanart is mine, I drew it, all rights reserved)

    -nightsisterkaris

--------- -:x:- ---------

   "Ugh. Overnight? At the Hub?!?!" Daisy groaned. Phil nodded.

   All the women groaned as a chorus. Melinda sighed.

    "What's wrong?" Coulson asked, confused. The women had never acted this way toward any other SHIELD bases.

    "You've never seen the women's wing, have you?" Bobbi asked. "You know, the one for level six and under?"

    "Can't say I have."

    "Well, for the record, it sucks." Bobbi said.

    "What's wrong? You've only ever stayed in the couple's wing with me." Hunter said.

    "Oh no, the women's wing is right above the firing range and right under the training room." Bobbi explained, checking her nails.

    "It is quite loud." Jemma confessed.

    "Well, I'm sure it won't be too bad for only one night." Coulson gave them the thumbs up in reassurance before retreating into his office on his new bus plane.

    Daisy mock banged her head on a wall. "Somebody knock me out so I actually sleep..." She looked up. "Hey Jem, you got any sedatives?"

    "I sure hope so." Jemma huffed.

-:x:-

    "Seriously?" Phil asked the agent who had met them at the hanger, and sent off the others with access badges and their room number.

    "Yes sir." The man paused. "Here at the hub, we're kinda packed right now."

    "Meaning..." Melinda raised an eyebrow.

    "I'm saying that the level seven to nine wing is packed too. There's only one room, last time I checked, ma'am." He said.

    Phil groaned. "Okay, thank you, Agent Hutchinings." The man nodded, and handed the two older agents their badges.

    Melinda glared at Hutchinings as she clipped the badge to her leather jacket.

    The man nodded again, and left.

    "Don't touch Lola!!" Phil yelled to an agent who was grounding the bus behind them.

    "Well, let's go find our room." Melinda tightly said.

-:x:-

     "Stupid agents can't think." Melinda growled, and set her bag in the armchair by the desk in the room.

     "Would you rather the women's wing?" Phil jokes.

    Melinda's raised eyebrow answered his question.

     "Or how about the couple's wing?" He joked. "There's plenty of open rooms down there that you could find a spot in."

     "You got some heavy-duty headphones?" Melinda asked.

     "Nope." He said.

     "Than that's my answer." Melinda told him.

     The silence between them was tense, and finally they both said in unison, "you can have the bed."

    "No, you can have it." Phil said.

    "Technically, you're my boss." Melinda argued.

    "I'm trying to be a gentleman." Phil responded.

    "I've slept on more floors than you."

    "You don't have to sleep on the floor."

    "Okay, then- "

    "Melinda, we've shared beds before." Phil said.

    "Fine. But I get the side closest to the door." Melinda compromised.

-:x:-

    "Hey! Are you Melinda May?" A younger agent stared wide-eyed at the older woman as Melinda and Phil slowly finish their dinner.

    "Yes." May hissed.

    "You're the cavalry!!!" The young woman grinned.

    "Don't call me that." May growled. Phil had joined Melinda in warning the young woman.

    Ignoring May, she continued, "is it true you took out a building full of hostiles will only one gun?!?!" She asked. "And you saved all the hostages?!?!"

    Melinda stiffened, and Phil turned to the younger agent, "don't you ever speak of that again." He told her slowly.

    "It is a testament of my will that you are still standing." Melinda threatened.

    "But-" the woman began again.

    "Shut it, agent." Phil said, glaring in defence of his parter.

    "Come on, Phil." Melinda scooped up her tray, dumped the contents into the trash, and set the tray on the counter.

    She was a silent storm on her way out, Phil following her diligently.

    Melinda threw open the door to their room, stripped off her jacket, and immediately climbed into bed, hugging a pillow, her back to him.

    Phil frowned in concern, and knew that words wouldn't help right now. He softly sighed, and followed her. Taking off his synthetic hand, Phil set it to charge on the nightstand. Lifting the blankets, he turned out the main light, the desk lamp illuminating the room.

    He didn't snuggle up to her, just simply reached out his right hand, letting her know that he was there. She would give him the cue when she needed him closer.

    Melinda wormed her way closer to him, and entwined their fingers, her head falling on his chest as she wiggled under his arm.

   Phil was shocked, but pleased. She needed this, and he'd happily comply to her every wish tonight. 

   Because Melinda needed him tonight.