When destiny won't shut up, someone's gotta answer.

This is one of the fics that I brainstormed back when like, the first three episodes of season five had aired. I decided to share this drabble with you. Enjoy! (Title from a poem I'm drafting)

    -nightsisterkaris

    --------- -:x:- ---------

     "Hey, you alright?" Daisy knocked lightly before opening the door to the room. Coulson sat on a stool at the obviously makeshift desk, hunched over a couple small tattered books. It was late, and the single light cast long shadows behind them.

    "Yeah..." Coulson nodded, and looked up at her. "I uh, found these. I'd forgotten them in my pockets." He said, referencing to the books. He glanced over at the bed embedded into the wall, and Daisy followed his gaze. May was asleep, out cold. Her time in the framework had done her no good. 

    "What is it?" Daisy asked, and stalked over to her boss. She looked over his shoulder. "Oh." Is all she can say. Its Virgil's journal, and the man had written down as much history as he knew -or could learn. 

   And there before them laid newspaper clippings. "Is that me?" Daisy squinted at the old paper. Phil nodded. 

    "May deciphered the French ones... And then went to bed." Coulson told her. "I've been reading the others."

    "What do they say?" Daisy asked.

    "Our story. And you didn't make it." He whispered the last part. 

    "What happened?" Daisy immediately asked. Perhaps she could prevent it.

    "I don't know." Coulson sighed.

     Daisy pushed aside the small pieces of paper, and picked one up. "It's you and May." She said. "What does it say?"

    "That one's in French. May went silent after she read it." Coulson sent a loving glance over to the sleeping woman. "She wouldn't tell me." 

   Daisy looked at the French, and attempted to read it.

   'Phil Coulson et sa femme, Melinda May, Refondent S.H.I.E.L.D., dans l'espoir de protéger le monde.' the caption read.

    "I have no idea what it says." Coulson confessed.

    "It's you and May, in the future. Or, I guess, the past." Daisy smiled. Picking up the paper, she squinted. "You think this has any importance?" She asked him.

    "No other reason for May to go quieter then usual after reading it." Coulson nodded.

    "I guess that this is how those people recognized you. Virgil sure has quite the collection of pictures of us." Daisy remarked.

    "It is." Said a tired voice from the bed. 

    "May!" Daisy sent the woman a smile. "Can you tell us what it says?" Daisy asked sweetly.

    "Phil Coulson and his wife, Melinda May, re-found S.H.I.E.L.D., in hope of protecting the world." May recited.

    Daisy and Coulson went silent. A quiet ,"Oh," from Phil is all that can be heard.

    "Yeah. Thought that one was better off as a mystery to you." May said, flopping back against the pillow.

    "Sooooo... You two get married... Okay." Daisy pressed her lips together, and looked between her two superiors. 

    After a moment or so, she slowly mock karate-chopped the air. "This is me, cutting the tension." She said.

    Phil cracked a smile, and looked back at the picture. 

   It was to old -and the printing quality was to low- for him to see any rings, but oh God, he married May! She loved him back!     

   May rolled over, and faced the wall.

   She knew she shouldn't have told him. For all she knew, he didn't feel for her like that yet. Maybe he didn't love her back - yet.

   And Jemma said that time was fluid. It could be affected. So, maybe this would never happen now.

    And Fitz would say that time is fixed. No matter what, they were gonna tie the knot.

    Melinda secretly liked Fitz's theory to some aspects, besides them failing and Planet Earth being quaked apart.

    Phil secretly feared Jemma's theory. That everything could change just by one minuscule choice. 

   Daisy bit her lips, and softly said, "and this is my cue to go... So you guys can talk this out?"

   She got no response, so slowly took some steps back, avoiding Virgil's Earthly artifacts, and slipped out the door.

    Phil looked over to his partner. "Why didn't you tell me?" 

   "You didn't need the stress." Melinda snapped.

   "If anyone doesn't need stress, its you." He retorted, referencing to her framework-affected, malnourished form. 

    "And will it happen now that you know?" She asked, still staring at the wall.

    "I hope so." He mumbled.

    They were both quiet.

    "Why?" May questioned.

    "Because all I've done lately is lose you. For once I want to keep you." He said, and picked up the newspaper clippings. "These won't direct us and order us around. They'll guide us and inform us, yes, but not control us." He told Melinda, waiting for her answer.

   "You need rest." She stated.

    As always, she was right.

    "You only get philosophical when you're tired." She observed.

     Phil hid a smile. She knew him to well.

    Getting up, he drug out the lumpy, thin, sad excuse for a mattress, and set it on the floor. 

    "You know that this one is nicer, right?" May taunted.

    "Yeah, but you're using it, and I value my life." Phil teased back.

    "If you value your life, move." May said, and scooted over. "You get the left side."

    Phil climbed over, and slipped in next to Melinda, who snuggled up to his back.

    "That better?" May whispered. "Can you work with this?"

    "I'll work with this for as long as you will." He responded, and flipped over to kiss her temple.

    "Wrong spot." May sighed.

     He went for her lips.

     Oh God, he could do this every day.

     "I kissed her, the robot." He stuttered. May raised her hand, and Phil rubbed his slapped, stinging cheek. 

     "Now, compare." May ordered.

     "Uh, this one was much more you." He mentally slapped himself for sounding so stupid.

     "And why didn't you realize that then?" She squinted in the dim light.

     "I uh, was kinda to distracted freaking out that you were finally kissing me." He sounded so lame!

     May simply hummed.

     Then she craned her neck up and kissed him again. "Now we're even." She breathed. "But you're still gonna buy new Haig." Melinda ordered.

    "And serve it at the wedding?" He asked.

     "Is that what you want?" She smiled.

      "Yeah."

     "Are you proposing?"

     "Yeah."

     "Can I say yes?"

     "Uh, yeah."

     "Then yes."