"Phil Coulson is Captain America now."

Note: this takes place in an AU where SHIELD never went looking for Steve's body. [Andrew, Ward, Rosalind, and Audrey are nonexistent (because they are my mortal enemies)].

   This is for AnayaForever, Hope you feel better soon, girl!

   Also, I'm sorry for subjecting you to the crappy doodle up above (It looks nothing like them, lol). I designed their suits. Yes, they are influenced by both Captains Rogers and Danvers. (All rights reserved to creators) 

  WARNING: Trigger warning for racism.

  Note: Semi-established Philinda, bahrain never happened, pre-New York

   -nightsisterkaris

--------- -:x:- ---------

   "Me? Why me?" Phil's mouth drops open. "I'm not qualified for this!"

   "Because; Steve Rogers was chosen for his heart, not his body." Fury said, folding his arms.

   "Agent May would be the better choice, sir. She has more training, more clearance, more-." Phil thought of all the hundreds of agents that had been eliminated from this process that promised the best capability to do good. Phil wanted that. He wanted to save lives. But he wasn't expecting that becoming the next Captain America would do that.

    "Agent May has already turned down our offer. We narrowed it down to you two, but she insisted that you take up the mantle." Fury interrupted. "The super serum has been re-created using Captain Rogers's DNA as a template, and other classified drugs. But if you accept this position, your infusion will be scheduled for three days from now."

   "Three days?" Phil gaped. He had three days to think. Three days to hope he doesn't suffer. Three days to have a normal relationship with Melinda before it changes. "I'll do it."

-:x:- 

   "Calm down, Phil." Melinda touched his arm, squeezing it. 

   "What?" He looked up, drying his hair with a towel. 

   "We both know I'm the only calm one here." She quirked, "You are sooooo fanboying right now." Melinda smirked as she walked with him down that hall, now that he was clean and ready to go, they headed toward the massive room where Phil would repeat history.

   "IDs." A guard ordered, stopping them at the door.

   "Agent Phillip Coulson."

   "Agent Melinda May."

   "Who are you?" The guard squinted at May.

   "My 'plus one'. Fury gave her clearance." Phil explained, and they were let in, looking over the setup below.

   "Agent Coulson." Fury nodded, and called him down. "You'll be fine." He nodded. 

   "I. . . I know sir." Phil nodded.

   "The lab rats all came out good, sir." A British accent told him, a young, like, really young, woman told Phil, who immediately go the mental image of a bunch of buff mice in Captain America suits kicking down tiny armed doors.

   "Will you come with me?" The British woman introduced herself as Jemma Simmons asked. Following, Phil went with them, Melinda not far behind him as they entered into a small room. "I'm going to leave so that you can change into these." Jemma pointed to a pair of shorts wrapped in plastic sitting on the table.