The Happy Moments (in between the chaos)

(Tahiti)

   Phil was trying to think of a creative and endearing nickname for Melinda. Yes, he had Lin and Mel, but he wanted something special. Something that reminded May that he loved her. Mellie-poo was to sappy, she would strangle him for that, and Mindy was to common. Lin... Linny? No.. My Melly? Sounds to much like a valentine... Lindy. That was it. Lindy.

   "Mel?" He started.

   "Hmmm?" She looked up in response.

   "You wanna go somewhere tonight?"

   "Like what?"

   "I don't know. Dinner then a dance?"

   May smirked, and glanced down before meeting his gaze again. "Sure. But I don't dance."

   "Yes you can. Come on Lindy, let's go dancing!" He grinned.

   May seemed to like her nickname, and agreed.

    -LATER-

   "This is my girl, Melinda." Phil introduced themselves to another party goer.

   "Mines Dave. My wife here's Carrie." He glanced back at May. "And how'd  you snatch up a purdy lady like her?" The older man asked, his wife still swaying to the native music.

   "I'm very lucky indeed." Phil answered, and  Dave asked, "why did you come? You ain't from Tahiti."

   "Retirement." Coulson answered sadly.

   "Huh. I'm just here with the cruise ship." Dave answered. "That one be a party boat. No peace anywhere aboard."

   "Sounds noisy."

   "Sure is." Dave seemed to have lost interest in the conversation, and went back to his wife.

   "Dance with me Lindy." Coulson whispered to May, who was slightly surprised.

   "You realize that's a name for a dance from the 1940's called the Lindy Hop, right?" May asked.

   "So Mellie knows her dances, huh?"

   "Phil, no I don't."

   "Let's find out how many, shall we?" He joked, trying to twirl her gently. And Melinda "Lindy" Coulson consented.

-:x:-

   (Starbucks)

   Coulson and May stop, and see a Starbucks.

   Nodding to each other, they believe that after their last mission, the need a break, and a drink. The two SHIELD agents go inside, and Coulson orders. Asking then paying for a coffee and hot  tea, He puts May's order call name down as her middle name, Qiaolian, and the barista writes and pronounces it "qui-loo-anne."

   Grinning at the idea of May's face at the mispronunciation, he didn't correct her. He, of course, was called "Phil."

   When the drinks were called, May did indeed wince, and threw him a more than slightly annoyed glare before going up to the counter to claim her drink.

   Next week, May ordered, and she made the barista call "Phillip" just because Phil hates the sound of his full first name.

-:x:-

   (At some point in the lighthouse)

    May threw another punch at the bag. Right. Left. Right. Left. Secret relationships are hard. May winced as she pulled a leg muscle, the reminder of how good of an idea it was to stretch before exercise.