Highschool AU

"Melinda! I'm hosting a party this weekend!" Bobbi grinned, handing the other girl an envelope.

   "Melinda! I saw your instagram post last night! You're such a hottie!" Some girl bowed.

   "Madame May, I love the outfit today!" One of their gay friends yelled across the hall.

   "Hey Melinda! You ready for History class?" Jemma asked.

   "Absolutely not." Melinda groaned. "Our teacher puts the last three letters in the word 'Class'."  Elena burst out laughing at her joke. "Well, see you later!"

   Heading into the classroom, Melinda took her usual seat, no one contradicting her. The teacher immediately took their place, standing at the head of the classroom with authority. "Good morning." She started off. "Yesterday we left off on the history of empires." She paused. "Today I am assigning you your term paper and project. This will be a project that you will do with a partner-" 

   The class excitedly stood up and students began shouting and claiming others.

   "Before you get to excited-" The teacher calmed them, staring at Melinda as she plopped down next to Bobbi Morse. "I'll have you know that I'm assigning partners, although the two of you will select an empire to do research on."

   The class groaned as the teacher picked up a paper off her desk and explained that she had already paired them all up. "Lance, you're with Bobbi. Jemma, you're with Fitz. Garrett, you're with Jasper. Mack, you're with Elena. Kirian, you're with. . ."

   Melinda tuned it out. How dare she! How dare the teacher force her to-

   "Phil, you're with Melinda."

    WHAT-?

    Melinda twisted around to stare back at the nerd. No. This was not happening. She couldn't let this happen. Melinda May was NOT going to work with a NERD.

   "I'll let you spend this class period discussing this project with your partner." The teacher instructed. Melinda just sat there, agape. Looking back up at her assigned partner, Melinda knew she couldn't change this. The boy smiled at her, and got up coming closer.

   "Hey, Melinda. I'm Phil."

   "I know." Melinda snarked.

    "I just thought I'd introduce myself since we've never held a conversation before." Phil smiled. Ugh. If he even tried to flirt, she would slap him.

    "Okay." Melinda sighed.

    "Do you, uh, have any ideas on what topic?" Phil was to polite, it was driving Melinda nuts.

    "Historical empire." Melinda pulled out her phone, immediately texting her group text of friends. 'I just got paired up with Phil Coulson. Help me please'. Sneaking her phone back into her pocket, Melinda rolled her eyes.

    "Yeah, but do you know which empire you want to do?" Phil tried again.

    "I don't give a crap about which empire." Melinda glared.

    "Well, what region of Earth would you prefer? Europe, Middle East, South America, Africa. . . China?" Phil was attempting to interest her.

    "I really don't care." Melinda threw her hair over her shoulder.

    "Times up!" The teacher called, "I want your proposition tomorrow including your choice of empires!"

   "I'll meet with you after school, if you'd like." Phil said quickly as the bell rang and students pushed and shoved their way to the door. "There's a coffee shop-"