The Clumsier Tackling

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

It was as though he could hear Oliver's watch ticking in the background as he continued to take step after step forward. Both of its hands were in the hoodie's pockets, and a grin painted its lips in a horrid fashion. Leon could spot crimson staining some of its teeth. The urge to gulp irritated him, and he forced it away. He couldn't show weakness in front of the creature. No, he had to remain calm; he could win the test. All he had to do was outrun the creature.

That wasn't necessarily the easiest thing on the planet, but it was possible. If Nick and (f/n) had done that, he could too. Then again, there had been five in that group originally. Mentally, he shook his head. What was he thinking? He had been waiting for this moment for so long; he couldn't let himself talk himself out of it, and if he did back out, the creature would attack him regardless.

A smirk graced his lips. This was his only shot, and he would attain his research. The creature would submit to him because there was no other option available in his opinion. Leon paused. He just was about to pass the creature. His brown, almost black, optics met the gaze of the creature.

To test it, Leon lifted up his flashlight and aimed it right into the creature's eyes. The creature continued to stare. Leon noticed a tiny wince from it, but it didn't shift its attention regardless. Its grin grew wider. "You should've come after me sooner." It giggled, leaned its head back against the wall and looked down to him. "Then, I might've had to look away."

"It's more of a challenge that way," Leon responded confidently.

Shaking its head, the creature giggled. "I can hear your heart." It leaned forward and removed its left hand from the pocket. The creature extended out its index nail and poked Leon lightly right over his heart. "It's beating pretty fast." Another giggle escaped it.

"It's from excitement, not fear." Leon hit the creature's finger away, and the creature withdrew its hand back entirely. "I'm winning, and you'll be mine."

"Don't you mean your group's?" The creature tilted its head to the left and didn't let up its grin.

"Yeah, but you'll be mine too." Leon shifted his optics away from the creature. He shone the beam of light down the hall. It remained a straight path, and the light didn't reach far enough to catch a turn or drop. The creature leaned back against the wall fully and closed its eyes. A long, drawn-out and unnecessary sigh parted from it as it began to tap its nails against the wall.

Leon wondered if it would break its word and just strike if he didn't move soon enough. He didn't avert his eyes back to the creature, however. Instead, he held onto the flashlight tightly and made sure that his bag was secured before he darted off. Instantly, his feet pounded against the hard cave floor, and the light bounced around, but that didn't slow him down; he had to find a way to loop around the creature. If he could, he would knock it out too, but that would have to be closer to the drop-off point since the creature probably wasn't that light of weight.

As he traveled further down the hall, the light finally caught a turn in the path. It went to the left before sharply dropping off. There wasn't another way to go, however. Cursing loudly in his head, he glanced behind him since he didn't hear the creature at all. The light didn't catch the creature, not even a shadow of him in the darkness. Leon couldn't hear soft footfalls either. Was it still leaning against that wall? Would it just wait there so that he couldn't get by? He hadn't considered that option, and if that was the case, he was going to have a much harder time reaching Gretchen and Terry.