The Fairer Morning

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

A quiet groan sounded throughout the room as a form shifted under the plush blanket. His arms wrapped around the pillow more while his face buried itself into the cushiony item. Unfortunately, that did little service to his ears, which continued to hear a nearby ringing sound. When it wouldn't stop, his left hand reached out from under the pillow and over towards the coffee table. Annoyingly, his arm wasn't long enough.

Blinking his brown optics open, he turned his head towards the table and spotted his phone. His tired eyes squinted at the caller's name: Ren. Nick shifted his attention over to the wall clock. It was about eight in the morning. A tired sigh parted from him before he picked up the phone and answered. "Morning, Ren. Did everything go well?" he asked as a soft yawn left him.

"Yeah, we have the check, we're on our way back now and Chris is asleep."

"You're driving and calling me?" Nick sat up on the couch and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "I better be on speaker, Ren. I don't care if the road is really empty."

"You're on speaker. Don't worry." Nick heard him chuckle on the other end. "But, I was wondering if (f/n) ..."

"She's in her room, Ren." Sitting up a little straighter, he quickly asked, "You knew, didn't you? Did you take my keys?" Irritation filled his tone, but he wasn't necessarily angry either. Embarrassed probably would've been a better word.

"We didn't take your keys. We saw them on the kitchen table before we left." Another chuckle left the younger male. "And, we didn't think about returning them. I'm sure Deidre will let you in."

"That's not the point," he groaned out in response, much to Ren's amusement. "Both of you turned off your cell phones for that reason too, didn't you?"

"Well, Chris was driving, and she follows your no-call policy while driving, with the exception of it being on speaker, rule pretty well. And, I was sleeping." Nick easily could hear the teasing and entertained tone in the male's voice. "You know also know that Chris isn't a fan of using speaker phone."

"Yes, I know, but you both still could've given me my keys back."

"And, spoil a perfect opportunity?" Ren laughed a bit, and Nick wondered how Chris still was asleep. Then again, she might actually be awake. It wouldn't surprise him. "But, you probably didn't tell her, right?"

"Ren, we've been over this. (F/n) and I are friends. And, I'm the only one coming over to check on her because I don't want any of you to be put at more risk." Nick could picture Ren rolling his eyes at that statement, but it was the ... truth. "Anyway, I'll see you both this afternoon?"

"Yeah, we'll be there, and I'll keep an eye out for the creature. Hopefully, he's moved on from now." Nick doubted that to be the case. The creature didn't give up easily or at all for that matter. He only had been spared from the creature's constant torment because the creature was so fixated on (f/n).

"Okay, be careful. See you both soon." Ren returned a similar goodbye and hung up. Nick ended the call too and set his phone aside. He leaned back on the couch and ran his fingers through his locks some. They would be safe; they would make it back in one piece. The creature didn't know that they were connected to (f/n) and him. It would be fine.