The Dressier Picking

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

"The cameras don't have audio?" (f/n) asked as Nick opened the door to the worker's staircase.

"No, they don't. The administration figured that most people wouldn't try to come up here or steal from a haunted house in an amusement park. It might also be just to save some money on security." He shrugged his shoulders some before he allowed her to step into the passage first. Nick closed the door behind them, and dull lanterns on the wall illuminated the stone stairwell. "But, that works better for us, especially with the creature nearby. You probably don't want people to know that either of you still is alive."

Momentarily, she glanced over her right shoulder and nodded. "No, I don't. He doesn't either. It'd interfere with our deal and cause more problems than there are already." (F/n) stared ahead again. She hoped that the diner had no video cameras in it, though; she hadn't seen any when she had been in there. If there had been hidden ones in there ... Well, that would bring more trouble. A sigh parted from her in the process.

"We'll make it out of here, (f/n). We made it out of the tunnels. And this time, the creature won't find you right away again." Her steps paused, and it was his turn to release a sigh. "Deidre and I will do our best so that he doesn't find you at all, but you know that's not a promise we can make."

"I know ..." She glanced back to him and smiled a little. "What you're doing now is enough, so thanks."

Closing the distance between them some, he rested a reassuring hand on her left shoulder and gave her a comforting squeeze. "For now, let's focus on getting you some new clothes. Maybe, some of their specialty snacks too. I doubt that you've had a relaxing meal since you've been on the run."

"Does sneaking onto a tour bus and eating there count?" she joked, her smile cracking more into a slight grin. Nick chuckled some before he shook his head. He patted her on the back and motioned for her to continue down the last steps.

As they reached the door leading into the shop, Nick opened it and answered, "I don't think so, especially if you had to sneak on. Were the other passengers nice at least?" She sent him a certain look, which caused him to release a light laugh. "Right. Well, you have better transportation service now."

Both of them entered the shop as her mind relaxed a little. That better means of travel might also mean that she can sleep peacefully again. A small smile touched her lips at the thought, and she followed Nick over to the clothing section. The cashier barely paid them any attention; he only had given them a simple nod. Clearly, it didn't bother him that Nick left the worker's exit with a park visitor, but (f/n) wasn't complaining about that.

Crossing his arms, Nick remarked, "So, what do you think of the selection?"

"Uh ..." It looked like they had walked into an overpriced Halloween store that had decided to brand everything with Castle Lake. "I'm just going to pick something comfortable and that I can wear outside of the park that won't draw attention."

Letting out a nervous laugh, Nick rubbed the back of his neck. "That might be hard to do."