The Deadlier Turn

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Up ahead, there was one last turn. Then, it was a straight drive to the airport. It reminded her of that last turn in the tunnels and those dreadful stairs, but Nick and she had made it out of there. Even Tara had before she had been forced out of the car by the creature. A chill ran through her body at the memory. "I can it make it again," she told herself even though her voice held little to no confidence.

She didn't even know where she was going exactly after the airport. (F/n) would take whatever seat was available on any plane and head there. If she had options, that'd be better, but she couldn't be picky in her present situation. All she had was a passport, though, and not a visa, so the most she could realistically stay in another country without one would be a few weeks, and it depended on the visa requirements of the individual countries.

Another groan left her. That restriction could very well seal her loss, but she had to try. She didn't exactly have the time to search on her phone for the various requirements in the different countries. So, it would fall back into the game of chance. Calling the deal "tag" was ridiculous. Yes, it was a chase, but both the creature and she knew that it wasn't a test of speed. It was luck. If he wasn't blocking her way to the airport, she would be lucky by the fact that he had traveled to the wrong one.

Her mind drifted from her thoughts as her attention diverted back to her surroundings. The trees seemed to grow in height, and the darkness at their bases strengthened in dread. She couldn't help but gulp. Part of her urged to turn back around. Go another way. But, she pushed that aside. Hopefully, though, luck would be on her side.

Flicking on her right blinker, she heard the light tapping of the device, and she turned off the music as her worry heightened. She turned the wheel, and the car traveled the turn seemingly slow. Her eyes met the road ahead. (F/n) saw the airport in the distance; however, her optics didn't stay on it long. Luck wasn't on her side.

Not too far away, the creature stood in the middle of the road. There were no other cars, and her headlights shone on him like he was about to perform. Trying to process that he had managed to get ahead of her and choose the correct path, her foot hovered over the gas pedal. Should she stop and turn around or speed ahead? Would she even make it before he reached her?

As her foot traveled back down on the pedal, the creature vanished. She knew that wasn't the right term, but he was running at his max speed in some direction, most likely right at her. (F/n), out of pure fright, slammed her foot onto the pedal. The car screeched and launched forward; however, the driver's door ripped off. A scream parted from her, and she soon saw the creature running right next to her. If he reached out, the game already was over.

In a last ditch effort to win, she spun the car around. It tilted as it made a quick, left turn. She nearly flew out of her seat in the process, but she gripped the steering wheel for dear life as his right hand just missed grabbing her. The car landed back on all fours, and she soared off. Her eyes looked in her rear view mirror. He was gone.

Looking to her left, she didn't see him there, but she was completely exposed on that side now. There also was the fact that it was freezing, and the heater did little good against the slightly ruined car. However, that wasn't her major concern presently. Where had he gone?