The Lighter Steps

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Making a right turn, the van started to slow down. (F/n) shifted in her spot some. Her legs needed to stretch badly, and her back ached from its uncomfortable resting place. Both of her eyes felt dry with wanting of sleep since the morning hours only were growing later. At least, that meant that the creature was becoming tired too. There were some benefits to his schedule unless he decided to change it in order to have an easier time catching her. Did he really require a simpler time, though? Multiple opportunities to end the game had occurred, yet he hadn't swept them up. Rather, he had prolonged the game; he wanted a challenge, and he was administering that to himself. Perhaps, that ego of his came in handy for her.

Stopping, she barely paid attention to the two officers' conversation. It no longer pertained to the diner or what Thomas briefly had spotted crossing the road. Rather, it focused on the food they were ordering and if Thomas was going to join Dan and a few other officers at the station at a local bar over the weekend. Their voices soon grew softer as they closed the doors behind them. Almost, she jumped, though, when the backdoors of the van opened. Thomas moved some things around before he called out to Dan, "Found it!" Probably, it was his wallet. He shut the doors, locked them and hurried off to reach his superior.

(F/n) released a breath, and her shoulders sagged. Now, what? She had to get out; she didn't want to ride into the station with them. Otherwise, getting out of the van unnoticed would be difficult. Getting to her feet some, she stretched her legs as best as she could and let out a satisfying hum when her knees popped a bit. The young woman peered over the front seats and out the front. A smile graced her lips.

Right now, she was in some small town, but there were more buildings around than just the Speedy Sandwiches. There was a small motel and a few local shops. Among the structures, there were homes too. They were small, but they made the town have a cozy appearance to it. Well, that would've been the case had there not been morning fog starting to roll in as the sky just was beginning to become less dark. With the fog, her chest tightened in trepidation. The creature could emerge from its wispy form and wear that cursed grin of his while giggling. It wouldn't surprise her if crimson decorated him, and a body dragged behind him.

She gulped but steeled herself to analyze more of her surroundings. Inspecting the rest of the parking lot, her eyes widened some. There was a tour bus. From her view, she couldn't see inside the restaurant to determine if all of the passengers were inside or not, but the driver was standing outside and smoking a cigarette. (E/c) optics scanned over the side of the bus. Castle Lake Amusement Park. That would either be a terrible or a perfect place to lose the creature. It was either that or take her chances in the town.

Briefly, she gazed over the small, fog-covered town. Her stomach formed knots, and she gazed back to the bus, which would be filled with other people soon enough. If she stayed surrounded by people yet remained hidden, she would be better off. Tour bus it was. Still, she hoped that the amusement park wasn't the stereotypical one in horror movies where they practically advertised for murderers to venture past their doorstep. She told herself not to over think it and wait until she got there to make such a judgment. It would still be better than the creepy vibe the fog was producing at alarming levels.

Quietly, she stepped across the back of the van even though the officers were inside. The van still could be seen moving some if she wasn't careful. If the officers noticed such a thing, they probably wouldn't take long to reach the backdoors of the vehicle. She didn't think that she could make up some explanation for being in the back of their van. And if they connected her to the diner and to her past media coverage from the tunnels, problems would skyrocket.