The Sorrier Survivor

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

On the passenger seat, he sat pressed up against the window. His breath fogged up the chilled glass, and his dark red scarf hugged his neck securely so that cold air couldn't creep down his thick, blue jacket. The teen's right hand sat under his chin while his other tapped against the plush seat. Not a word occurred between his father and him. He mainly was embarrassed about last night now, having calmed down from almost being killed, since his parents didn't believe a word of his explanation about the creature being in and around the (l/n)'s residence. Oliver, regardless of the long lecture his parents gave him about his behavior last night, still trusted what he had seen and experienced last night before he had lost consciousness.

A huff of irritation left him, though, at the memory of being shown (l/n)'s daughter's old room. It had been empty, and everything looked like it hadn't been used despite the lack of dust in the space. Apparently, her parents cleaned her room weekly for their deceased daughter if she really was. Someone had jumped him last night. It wasn't unlikely that it had been her. His parents, however, had been less than satisfied, and he couldn't count how many times they had apologized to her parents last night.

His brown optics stared out the car window. He wished that he hadn't been grounded for a month and banned from using the other camera in the house since he seemingly had lost the other one. No, he hadn't; the creature had taken the device from him. It was that simple. Despite the annoying quality of his consequences, they admittedly were realistic. It's not like his parents would've given him a pat on the back for bravery and some hot chocolate for a near job well done on spotting the creature, though; that would've been preferred.

Noting that they were approaching his school, he sank into the seat more. The paranormal investigator's group was going to surround him at lunch time and ask him about last night. Sure, he had a great story, but he lacked evidence. They would want that lost evidence. There was no way that they were going to let him into the group now.

Perhaps, he should apologize to his parents about his actions, but he wasn't sorry about that. Rather, he was sorry that he had failed the group that he so wished to enter. He leaned his forehead against the glass, his navy blue beanie protecting his head from the chilled glass. "Do I have to go?" he mumbled to his father.

Roughly, a sigh parted from the driver. "Yes, I thought that your mother and I had made that clear last night." Oliver rolled his eyes in return. "You're not going to be rewarded for the stunt you pulled. You could've been killed."

"Exactly!" He sat up some. "So, I should get a day of recovery!"

"You don't need one. You're fine." His father pulled into the parking lot. The older man turned around in his seat. "Besides, you need to tell that group anyway that you're no longer interested in joining." A slight glare was sent to the older male, but he wasn't bothered by it in the slightest. Instead, his tone grew a bit harsh. "Break it off, Oliver. Your mother and I don't need to wake up to news of you being found dead somewhere because this group wanted you to do their dirty work. Find another group. There are more kids at your school than just them."

Rolling his eyes, Oliver unlocked the door and hopped out. He closed the door behind him and gave a frustrated light wave to his dad before he marched into the building. Oliver made sure to avoid the hallways with the lockers of those in the group. Thankfully, his first class, English, was down another hallway from all of them, and none of them were in that class with him. After a sigh of relief and some relaxation of his shoulders, he walked into class. For once, he dreaded the lunch period.