The Sloppier Hider

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Finally, he was able to let out a sigh as the doors closed shut behind the two investigators. Oliver stretched his legs and arms and rolled his shoulders until he heard a satisfying pop. He moved onto his knees and peeked over the back seat of the car. Chris and Ren were on their way inside of the small convenience store by the gas station. Both of their expressions displayed worry, but they relaxed them into neutral ones as they entered the shop.

When Ren had seen the accident, he had woken up Chris, only for her to swear loudly. They had mentioned that they hoped that the creature wouldn't be able to connect pieces back to them and that they needed to inform Nick of the development. From their concern, however, it sounded like the creature was in the area, which was immensely beneficial. He could bypass speaking to Nick and (f/n) to find the creature even if the two investigators briefly had mentioned the two's location: Faller's Grove.

A smirk greeted his lips. The team would be so proud of him if he discovered the creature's location already. Lowering himself, he turned around so that he could lean his back against the backseat. In process of doing so, however, he paused in a squatting position. Directly ahead, he saw movement.

Staying completely still, his brown optics focused more on where he had seen the figure. His eyes scanned over the dense population of trees on the other side of the road. He couldn't find what he had observed, but he had been certain that he had seen a flash of nearly white locks and deathly pale skin. Even if the creature was supposed to prefer the dark and be sensitive to the light, it was possible that the creature had managed to tolerate the light over the time away from the tunnels.

Steadily, he lowered himself more and crawled over to the back window. Peeking out of it, he searched the area more. Towards his right, he noticed something black move. He peered closer and realized that it was a figure wearing a black hoodie and jeans; the figure was up against one of the trees, and Oliver barely could spot him in the darkness surrounding the base of the pines. Moving his gaze from the top of the figure to the bottom, Oliver sighted the deathly pale and bare feet. The figure's hands were in the hoodie's pockets. Unfortunately, the hood covered the figure's head completely, but how many people walked through a forest with bare feet? With any luck, that was the creature.

As a car passed by, Oliver observed the figure move slightly before the figure seemingly vanished from that spot. Sitting up straight, he positioned himself next to the window to his right and surveyed the trees in that direction. Just in time, he caught the figure remove a deathly pale hand from one of the pockets. Quickly, the hand pulled the hood over a head of nearly white hair and a deathly pale face with sunglasses over the figure's eyes. In that short time, Oliver was certain he was watching the creature.

Hurriedly, he sent a text to the team. Found the creature. Following it now. He put his phone away into his jacket and went to sneak out the back of the car. There was no lock on it, though, so he couldn't open it from the inside. Annoyed, he checked out all of the windows. No one could see him. Speedily, he climbed over the backseat and towards the backdoor on the driver's side. Oliver unlocked it and quietly opened the door before he locked it again. As gently as he could, he closed it and sneaked over to the right side of the store before anyone could sight him.

Focusing back on where he had sighted the creature, he almost panicked when he didn't see it anymore. Nearly, he cursed before he saw movement again. The creature was walking between the trees and deeper into the forest. Oliver gulped a little bit. He had no flashlight or any means of defense really. And, he doubted that the convenience store had a flashlight. Even if it did, he would draw suspicion to himself, especially since the locals probably would recognize that he wasn't from the town. They might ask him where his parents were.