The Angrier Conclusion

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop. 

"So ..." Deidre started, her optics glancing up to the rear view mirror. Nick met her eyes in the mirror as he leaned on the back of her seat some. A heavy sigh parted from him. Momentarily, he looked over to (f/n), who was fast asleep. Her breathing was steady, and her body curled itself up against the car door. "What are we going to do?" she asked when she didn't receive an answer from him.

"I told her that we're going to do our best to keep the creature from her but that we can't promise her safety for forever. If things get too dangerous, she'll need to handle the matter on her own."

"And, she's fine with those terms?" Her brown optics displayed skepticism as she drove down the long road a little over the speed limit but not too much. Still, they weren't going to wait around for the creature to catch up to them. The tall pines on either side of their car, though, weren't exactly soothing.

"Yes. She has to be because I'm not losing anymore team members to him." Nick tightened his fingers around the seat fabric. "I can't go through that again." He rested his forehead against the back of the chair. "I never wanted to deal with him again." Deidre turned her gaze back to the road and mirrors as a frown fell on her lips. She wanted to reassure her employer and friend that things would work out, but they were in territory that very easily could end their lives. There wasn't much to be celebratory about.

"I was hoping that the next time I would see (f/n) the creature would be gone; that he would be dead, yet he's still alive. Now, he's possibly on our tail." His right fingers came up and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "I'm happy that she's alive, but this ... This is not how I wanted things to be." Nick shifted his optics back to the mirror. "So, you're welcome to leave the team if you want. I won't blame you, Deidre."

A light shake of her head met his optics. "No," she spoke firmly. "When I signed up, I knew that my life might be compromised. I didn't think that I'd ever have to deal with the creature of those tunnels, but here we are." Her hands gripped the wheel tight. "I'm helping you and (f/n). We'll do our best for her."

"Thank you, Deidre." He reached over and gave her a reassuring pat on her right shoulder. "When we get home, I'm getting all of us some hot chocolate, and I'm tossing all of my cologne. I'm not taking any chances."

"Though, Nick?" He hummed in response as he leaned back on his seat. "Where will she live? Our home is big enough, but ..."

Closing his eyes, he finished for her, "You're worried that the creature will find us with her and make sure to kill us all, right?" He saw her nod. "It's a possibility, but there are some apartments across the street from us. I'll use some of my reward money to help pay for her rent."

"And, her other expenses? We can't support her indefinitely, especially with her rent. Your reward money only can go so far."

"I'm aware of that. The landlady of the apartment complex has been looking for some help to clean the place. A janitor, right?" Deidre gave a sigh of relief when she remembered that. "Maybe if (f/n) agrees to be that janitor, she'll get her room free and some money for groceries and things."