District Twelve Male: Egan Agni [4]

Author: MagmaKepner

Name: Egan Agni

Age: Nine

Sex: Male

District: Twelve

Physical Description:  The runt of his classmates, Egan stands at a measly 4'4'', and is  pretty malnourished, weighing less than eighty pounds and barely has any  meat on his bones. Bright grey eyes that, though most others show  sadness, often light up with happiness. A toothy grin and olive skin  complete his facial structure, with a mop of dirty, brown, hair in a  mass on his head. He speaks as though he grew up in the slums of Twelve,  like most, and it would be true.

Personality: Egan  is both naïve yet intelligent. He has barely been exposed to the harsh  horrors of the world, seeing only his home life as the best one he could  get. However, he is intelligent and swift, often able to flit around  others and confuse them with random jumbles before he runs off and  hides. He's excitable, yet a bit slow on the up-taking. Over the years,  he has learned that loyalty comes in the little things, like a game of  marbles, and that things in life don't always come free-as his mother  has to work hard to get food on the table, and so does he, though he  often eats at the school or by asking the merchants nicely when they're  on the streets.

Background:  Growing up, Egan never knew any other life-and why should he have? His  mother, Marietta, works odd jobs, cleaning, washing, cooking, trading,  loading-whatever gets money in her pocket. After her husband died when  Egan was six in a mining accident, after being married twelve years,  Marietta found it hard to adjust, relying on her parents to keep up with  the children while she worked. After his death, she considered working  in or around the mines, but found the memory of her husband too vivid,  and so she remained around the town.
Egan is a bit rambunctious at  school, often  kicking his feet or tapping his pencil on his desk. He  has been sent home many times before, though in his mind that gives him  more time to hang around with the other kids. However, he's a sweet kid,  polite and well-mannered, never hesitating to round up the other  children to help old Mrs. Wicket clean her home, or watching his little  sister. He also has several imaginary friends, as many children do at  his age, though he finds it's often irritating to have to hang around  his own imagination for too long.

Family: Mother, Marietta Agni (née Holden), 33.
Father, Cole Agni, deceased.
Sister, Aithne Agni, 3.
Lisel and Douglas Agni, paternal grandparents, deceased.
Ceylon and Lee Holden maternal grandparents, 55 and 57.

Reaped.

Reaction: The  Agni family name was called out. Though Egan knew it not, his mother was  aware that Egan was the only male in the family, and was frantically  crying out and hugging him close to her body. He didn't understand  exactly what was going on, but he was dragged apart and set onto the  stage, where he looked out to the audience with confusion, though he  understood that something was wrong, as his mother kept crying out that  'her baby can't go in'.

Strengths: A fast  runner, he's quick on his feet and isn't afraid to duck and dodge,  using his height and size to his advantage. As well, he's accustomed to  hunger, knowing what to eat to save food. He can hide well, too, in  Twelve often finding the smallest of places to squeeze into for a game  of hide-and-seek, or to scare his friends.

Weaknesses:  Strength; comparably weaker and less-trained than other competitors,  Egan barely ad a clue as to what the Games were before entering. He'd  heard of them, of course, but he hadn't seen one in action-yet. Also,  Egan doesn't know how to swim or make shelter, though he assumes if he  can hide, it's shelter enough. He's also loud, neglecting to watch his  tracks or noise level, unless in serious situations that he is well  aware of.

Weapon: A slingshot, or anything that needs a sharp eye to use. He assumes that all the schoolyard games he played may help him.

Token: A marble,  yellow swirl in the middle twisted with a blue strand. He keeps it in a  ragged red bag that ties to either his pants or wrist. It's his sister's  favourite to roll around.