52. The Aftermath

☆————————————☆

☆————————————☆

THE FOUR TEENAGERS RAN THROUGH THE BATTLE, DODGING ATTACKS FROM TROLLS AND ACROMANTULAS, DEMENTORS AND DEATH EATERS, ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE BOAT HOUSE.

They slowly approached the boat house and hid out of sight. Victoria listened carefully as Voldemort and Snape talked.

"The wand resists me." Voldemort said.

"There is no wand more powerful. Ollivander has said it. Tonight, when the boy comes...it will not fail you. I am sure of it." Snape replied. "It answers to you...and to you only."

"Does it?"

"My Lord?"

"The wand, does it truly answer to me? You're a clever man, Severus. Surely you should know...where does it's true loyalty lie?"

"With you, of course...My Lord." Severus said quietly.

"The Elder Wand cannot serve me properly, because I am not it's true master. The Elder Wand belongs to the wizard who killed it's last owner. You killed Dumbledore, Severus. While you live, the Elder Wand cannot truly be mine." Voldemort said and Victoria fought the familiar pain that came rushing to her head.

One of them was about to die, and she had a feeling it wasn't going to be Voldemort.

She clutched her head and braced herself for what was about to happen.

And all it took was a flick of a wand, a slicing sound, and a body collapsing, hitting the wall before them to – painfully – make Tori's feeling a reality.

"Nagini...kill..." Voldemort instructed and the snake launched itself at Severus.

The four made no sudden movements whatsoever, for there was nothing they could do. It pained Victoria to think like that, but it was the truth. She looked away as the repeated thumping sound filled her ears, and the blood of the Potions Professor splattered against the window. Only when the thumping stopped, and the familiar sound of Disapparition went off, did all four teenagers make a move.

Tori's eyes brimmed with tears as she saw Professor Snape lay there. Harry knelt beside him and placed his hand on Snape's neck.

"Take it...take it." Snape whimpered.

"Quick, give me a flask...anything!" Harry ordered.

Hermione gave it to him and he placed the flask underneath Snape's eye, catching his tears.

"Take them to the Pensieve."

"Look at me..." Snape continued after a moment. "You really have your mother's eyes..."

Tears fell down Victoria's face, and she didn't bother wiping them away as Snape took his last breath. Harry closed the man's eyes and stood up.

Before they could make any further movements, the room went dark and Tori's ears started ringing, just like they had in the Great Hall earlier. She clutched her head as the room started spinning and Voldemort's haunting, snake-like voice spoke once again.